Chapter 27 Raven Fever

I rested my hands on my thighs, feeling a new ache in my legs I had never felt before. I didn't remember sword dancing hurting so much.

I looked across to the room adjacent to the studio I was in. April flawlessly spun around and around, her endless hair swirling around her tall frame. She worked herself hard. I don't know how I had previously thought she was human. A human could never do what she does.

"I don't think she likes Callum." I hadn't even heard Charlotte sidle up beside me.

"What do you mean?" I asked; my eyes still trained on April as she continued to spin.

"I think she's using him."

"For what?"

"Reputation."

"April's not that shallow." I folded my arms.

"That's the only explanation I have."

"She told me she wanted something from him." I remembered.

"And what April wants-"

"-April gets." I finished.

April stopped turning, giving us a smile as she caught us starring. She'd probably known all along.

I moved away from the window of the room, rubbing my thighs as I approached my drink bottle.

"Are you okay?" Charlotte observed.

"Yeah." I gathered my bottle and phone into my duffle bag.

Charlotte and I met with April as we made our way to our dorm.

"How's buffy?" April asked me.

"Is that what we're calling him now?" I couldn't help but laugh at the nickname.

"Well, every boyfriend needs a good codename."

"Oh yeah, what about Callum?" I asked.

"Spitfire." She answered.

"Please tell us why." Charlotte inquired.

"Well, I mean it physically and figuratively."

I shook my head.

"Physically, because he can breathe fire and figuratively because...he knows how to give it to ya."

"April." Charlotte and I shook our heads.

"You asked." She smirked.

We changed into our uniforms before heading back down. As I walked down the hallway my legs throbbed and my temple ached. I stopped at my locker. I swiped my fingers over the lock, leaving a dark smear of black paint over it.

"Do you see this?"

"See what? The paint?" Charlotte peered over my shoulder.

"Black paint." I breathed as I rubbed my fingers.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She repeated.

"I'm fine." I threw open my locker, screaming as a dark figure flew out towards me. I ducked, turning around to see a raven with tattered feathers flying to the windows as it attempted to escape.

All eyes were on me as the raven disappeared down the end of the hallway. I looked up to meet the eyes of Riley across the hallway.

April and Charlotte each grabbed one of my hands, helping me to my feet. They rushed me away from curious eyes and the thrum of whispers into the bathroom.