Chapter 29 The Highland Games

After leaving the bus and converting to a train, followed by another bus we ended up at our hotel in Dunoon, Scotland. We were yelled at for imitating elephants up the stairs in the hotel before crashing into our rooms.

I awoke to a rustling of paper. I got out of bed, noticing a flyer of some sort flapping against the window of the hotel room. I crept over to the window, looking through the glass to read: Missing! Sixteen-year-old girl. Last seen in Uisneach. The paper was blown away before I could read anymore.

I turned around to check the time just as the door to my room opened.

"We have to be downstairs." Charlotte poked her head in.

"Okay."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "I'll be right down."

She closed the door and I went over to my suitcase. I quickly got changed, tying my hair back into a high ponytail before meeting my choir group downstairs for breakfast.

"Alright everyone, once you've finished breakfast you can wander around for a couple of hours, but make sure that you are within the grounds of the Games by twelve o'clock." Mr. O'Neill declared.

"So you're still dancing?" Charlotte inquired.

"Yes." I breathed out deeply. "Don't remind me."

"You'll be fine." April said confidently.

We finished our breakfast, leaving the hotel behind to wander the streets. It didn't take long for trouble to find us.

"What a happy coincide finding you three here?" Alice materialised out of thin air.

"Unlike your birth." April deadpanned.

"Such a charmer." She tossed her brown ringlets over her shoulder. "Anyway, this is my best friend Olivia."

A familiar looking girl with long platinum blonde hair and icy blue eyes smiled kindly. "Hello, it's nice to meet you." Her accent was undeniably English as she extended her hand.

Charlotte went to take it but April glared her into submission. "Do I know you?" April seemed to see the familiarity as well.

"I don't think so." Olivia glanced at Alice.

"I take it you three are singing this year."

"How perceptive of you." April continued her standoffish tone.

"I hope you don't have high hopes. Dublin has three choir groups this year, you don't stand a chance."

"Quality not quantity." April countered.

"Is that your family's motto nowadays?"

"No. It's bitches get stitches." She knocked shoulders with Alice as she passed her. Charlotte followed while I hesitated. I locked eyes with Alice.

"You've been awfully quiet Isla." She observed.

I shrugged in response.

"Happy Birthday for Wednesday." I was surprised she remembered.

"Thanks." I noticed Olivia was still smiling a little as I left them to rejoin April and Charlotte who had left without me. I looked back, silently judging Olivia to decide I thought she might be older than her youthful face portrayed.

"Is Olivia inhuman?" I asked April as I caught up.

"Of course she is." April walked very fast with her long legs.