Chapter 26 Cursed Child

"Isla, Isla look at me." I blinked my blurry eyes, my body and mind feeling numb as I slowly focused on the man before me. "Can you see me?" Worry creased Riley's brows as he held my face in his hands.

I tried to speak but my voice came out a strangled rasp.

Riley removed one of his hands and I saw it was slick with black paint. I looked down at myself; I was naked, and covered in black paint in the art room.

"It's okay." Riley sensed my distress and lifted me into his arms. As he turned to walk me out I stopped breathing at the sight of what I had senselessly smeared on the floor of the room. They were symbols in a language that didn't belong to this world, but I knew what they meant: Cursed Child.

I couldn't feel my limbs as Riley carried me to his office, setting me down to wash the paint from my skin and crusty paint in my hair. It was only when I was wrapped in a blanket by the fireplace that I could start to physically feel again.

"Drink this." Riley gently curled my fingers around a large mug of tea.

I took a large sip. "What happened to me?" I croaked a little.

Riley sat down beside me, his expression full of sympathy. "I was finishing up some work when I heard a noise." He began to explain. "I recognised your voice, singing in a language other than any I have heard before. I followed your voice and found you smearing paint on yourself and the floor."

"They were symbols." I took another sip to ease my throat. "Language of the Fae. I had another dream."

"You don't have to talk about this now."

"I have to. I dreamt about the Seelie Queen. I swear-swear." I looked to the crackling fire. "She looked at me. But like you've said it wasn't just a dream. She really saw me. She called me a Cursed Child. That's what the symbols on the floor meant."

"Anna will be here today, she can help you."

"I like your help." I met his eyes.

"But I haven't done a very good job."

I opened my mouth to retort but he stopped me.

"You could have hurt yourself. Anything can happen when you aren't in control of your body."

"But nothing happened."

Riley brushed his thumb over my cheek. "I'm worried about you."

I looked down at my hands. "You don't have to be."

"I can't help it. Please stay here."

"What time is it?"

"Four, in the morning. I'll get you some clothes." He got up. I watched him retrieve a shirt and pair of shorts from his wardrobe, setting them down on the couch. I checked to make sure he wasn't watching before dropping the blanket and throwing his shirt over me. It fell to my mid thigh.

"I guess we're even now." I said as I buttoned the shirt.

Riley quirked an eyebrow, showing me he had no idea what I meant.

I gave him a look and a smile broke onto his handsome face.

"I'm sorry for your sore eyes."

He chuckled, biting his lip. "You could heal a blind man with a smile." He complimented my naked form.

I felt my cheeks flame as I reached for the shorts, telling him to look away with my eyes while he continued to smirk.

"You have nothing to hide."