Chapter 18 Broken Toes

I awoke by my nose being flicked by April. I groaned, rolling over and pulling the blankets further over my head.

"Time to break some toes." She tugged at my downer and I held on tight. "Don't fight me on this Isla, you're the one that asked for it." She tugged so hard I rolled off the bed and onto the floor.

I just laid there, my face pressed into the floor.

"Don't make me bite you."

I somehow managed to get up and change into my skins and sports bra. I braided my hair before elaborately braiding April's. She synced our phones so we listened to the same playlist before running off into the woods. I tried to keep up with April but she was deliberately trying to loose me using her superior Vampire speed. We did several laps before returning to school, lightly jogging to the gym.

"Get ready to break some toes." She wasn't even tired from the run as we entered the sole dance studio room in the school. "How do you feel about ballet?"

I gave her an annoyed look.

"Sword dancing, it is what you'd be dancing at the Highland Games."

I nodded in defeat.

"Stretch your arms and legs." She ordered. I knew she was going to enjoy breaking me.

I stretched my already buggered arms and legs, trying my best not to collapse right there and then.

"Feet together."

I did as I was told.

"Move forward."

I moved.

"No, have more of a spring in your step. Imagine those swords are right there at your feet. From the beginning."

I redid the steps, trying to recall my fast knowledge as I sprung on my right foot with my left hovering in the air.

"It's all wrong."

I stopped.

"Where's your gracefulness?"

"Up my arse!" I was tired and cranky and I kind of hated April telling me what to do.

"Do you really want to do this? Or are you just trying to impress our God of a Biology teacher?"

"I want to know what I am, can I just try something less structured. Like contemporary."

"Okay then, you do what you want." She pulled up a chair, folding one leg over the other.

I sat down on the floor, folding my legs beneath me. I closed my eyes, trying to forget about how exhausted I was. I pictured the wondrous stars before me as I bended backward until my head touched the floor. I sucked in a breath as I pushed my chest outwards, my head following as I sat up straight. I raised my hands in the air, dropping them before extending my left leg. I rolled along the floor, again pushing out my chest as if my heart was lifting it before rolling backwards and onto my feet. I could feel the grass between my toes as I spun around at a quick pace, using what little ballet skills I had retained from childhood. I simply moved the way my body wanted, without even registering what I was doing in my mind.

I finished, opening my eyes to see a sweeping field that met a cliff overlooking the sea. I was looking at the Isle of Skye.

"What are you looking at?" April's voice was very near to me; I hadn't even heard her move.

"My home."

"What do you see?"

I continued to gaze over the edge of the cliff. "The Minch." I replied. I blinked and the scene before me faded.