twenty.

T W E N T Y
T H E O D O R E

"What do you think?"

"I love it. I really do."

"I know you were really hoping to bring Hilltop with us, but you did everything you could."

"I could have done more. Gregory should have been able to lead his people here with us. I'm sorry if I've disappointed you."

"What? No."
He shakes his head.
"Never. I'm so proud!"

"Do you really mean that?"

"Of course, Teddy."

"I've always wanted my own kingdom, ever since I was little. My daddy used to buy me crowns to wear on my head for school and whenever we'd go out."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I miss my old man, a lot. I'm the man I am today because of him, and I love him to death."

"I've never heard anything about your family. I always thought you didn't like to talk about it."

"I didn't think you'd be very interested, I know that you don't have a very good relationship with your dad."

"I'm interested. I'd love to hear about those things."

"Well, I was born in South Africa in a town named Pretoria, I don't know if you've ever heard of it."

"I haven't, but I'm sure it's beautiful."

"My daddy and I lost my momma to cancer a few years back— 10 to be exact."

"You were only 15 when you lost your mom? I'm so sorry."

I continued to tell Carl more about my childhood and what my life was like before and after the virus spread. Even though we were madly in love, I had never really taken the time to tell him things about my past.

I suppose I didn't see a point in it. It isn't the future, so in my mind, it was insignificant— but I was beginning to realize that it's important to talk about these things.

The two of us were walking around Richmond, not paying much attention to our surroundings, mostly due to that fact that it wasn't important. I wanted to focus on the love of my life, not these abandoned buildings.

It was a fantastic find, I can admit it. I don't think we could have been any luckier, because this was absolutely incredible.

Starting my empire and kingdom always ran adrenaline through my veins, but being able to walk around inside the perimeter of the foundation was turning a good day into a great day.

"Theodore, can we talk?"

"I'm kinda busy, can it wait?"

"Not really."

"Bastian, I haven't been able to spend time with Carl, and I feel bad."