actions speak louder than words

an endless waterfall of tears rolled down y/n's cheeks. she sat in the corner of her room, sobbing quietly into her arms.

everything just hurt so damn bad.

school that day had been a wreck. everybody hated her there-- all except gilbert blythe. he was y/n's best friend; the only person in her life keeping her going.

she went to school each day only to be put down and ostracized. then, she came home to a verbally abusive mother and a sick father.

she couldn't help but constantly feel like nobody cared about her. not even gilbert. y/n appreciated his effort, but you can't like someone when no one else does.

she was in an endless abyss of anguish, and it was like everyday she fell down further and further into it, but she just couldn't seem to hit the bottom. it's like life was slowly and painfully dragging her through it until she just couldn't take it anymore, until she exploded.

y/n looked up from her arms and wiped her tears away. she stood up and looked into her mirror.

she looked at herself-- red nosed and puffy eyed, traces of pain embedded on her rosy cheeks. y/n took a deep breath.

she walked downstairs, trying to act as if her heart wasn't laying at the pit of her stomach in pieces.

"y/n, good, you're here." her mother said, looking at her.

"make the dinner." she said simply. y/n stared at her. why was it that people had children, yet they acted as if that choice were their lifelong sorrow? why was it that some people only had them to make them feel used instead of loved?

y/n's mom looked at her with disbelief in her eyes.

"can you hear me, or is that another thing you're useless at?" she snapped at y/n.

y/n, without a word, grabbed her jacket and walked out of the door. she heard her mom call for her, yelling threats and profanities. but y/n kept walking. she kept walking until she broke out into a run.

y/n had reached her breaking point. in her head, she asked life if it was happy now, if it had gotten what it wanted.

she ran and ran, sobbing her eyes out.

y/n had lost track of how much she had been running. her legs were numb. she let exhaustion overtake her, and fell to the ground. she lay, breathless and freezing, in the snow. she felt her eyelids grow heavy, and gave in to them. they closed.

as she drifted off to sleep, she felt strong arms reach under her and lift her up. she was alarmed, and tried to fight back.

"let go of me!" she tried to yell. instead, it came out weakly and quiet. she gave in, accepting that this was her end, and fell asleep.

***

y/n's eyes opened. they finally felt light again, but her spirits did not. she was displeased to realize that her broken heart was still indeed broken.

she was still hurting.

looking around, she recognized that she was in a bedroom. she didn't know who's it was, but she was glad to have been carried away from the cold.