i love you to the moon and back

gilbert sat at his desk, his pen in a ready position above the blank paper.

after thinking for a second, he lowered the pen and began to write.

dear y/n,

i don't think the way i feel about you will ever change.

i don't think there will ever be a day where i'll wake up and you won't be the first thing that i think of. i don't think there will ever be a day where i don't wonder what you're doing, or if you're happy and well.

my father, before he passed, told me that i'm young, that eventually i'll get over you.

but what if i don't want to? what if i don't want to stop getting butterflies every time i hear your voice or your laugh? what if i don't want to stop getting shivers down my spine each time you walk past me and accidentally brush your arm against mine?

i've never been the most patient person. but when it comes to you, i'd wait years and years for you to return my feelings.

i don't know what i'm doing. i've never felt this way before. the only thing that's leading me is my passion for you. i don't know where i'll be in a year or two, but i do know these feelings won't be gone.

i'd travel to a different galaxy and back if it meant i could call you mine.

when i was in trinidad, all i could think of was when i could see you again. i secretly wish i had asked you to go with me.

would you have said yes?

if i had gotten on one knee and asked you if we could spend the rest of our lives together,

would you have said yes?

i'm only 18, but i've never felt so sure about something in my life.

this isn't a crush or simple infatuation. i'm in love with you, with everything that makes you yourself.

if i look into your eyes, at your lips, your hair, your smile... i'd fall for you all over again. and again, and again, and again.

if rebirth were real, i would, without a doubt, find you in my next life. i'm so lucky i get to even look at someone as beautiful inside and out as you.

you know, i often wonder if you feel all these feelings too; either for me... or for someone else.

sometimes i want to just ask you. other times, i feel like i'm better off not knowing. i don't know what to do. i really don't. when you have feelings this strong and intense, what are you supposed to do? 

i think the best things in life cannot be seen, nor heard. they must be felt with the heart. that's how i know you are the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me.

y/n, i'm in love with you.

- gilbert

gilbert folded the letter tenderly and reached under his desk, pulling out a wooden box. he unlatched it. inside were a bunch of other letters, neatly placed side by side.

gilbert looked down at them with sad eyes, running his finger over the oldest of the letters - they dated back to three years ago. all of them were to y/n.

he placed the newest letter inside, and closed the box again. he hid it in his drawer, and climbed into his bed.

gilbert had locked his feelings away in a box for three years. he sighed and sat up again, not feeling tired at all.

gilbert made his way to the window and stared at the moon, tears slightly stinging his eyes.

somewhere else in avonlea, y/n was looking at the moon too. she stared at it for a few minutes before turning away to sit at her desk.

she pulled out a pen and paper, and began writing.

dear gilbert,

(a/n) hope you enjoyed :)