i can't talk to you

it was another day at avonlea school, and y/n was sitting with her friends. they, like always, were taking advantage of the time they had left before the lessons started.

so, they chatted away about things like boys and dresses; the usual.

y/n honestly had nothing to say on the matter; there were no boys who caught her eye, and she didn't like to discuss dresses that she could never have, as her conservative mother often made her dresses of browns and grays.

but she was never one to argue or complain, so she sat there and listened. that was something she's always been very good at.

as the students started to take their seats and quiet down, the door creaked open and a boy, who y/n didn't recognize (she was new to avonlea; y/n had only been there a month) stepped inside.

who is that? she thought to herself.

"gilbert!" all the boys cheered as they raced to greet him.

when the crowd completely covered the mystery boy, y/n turned to diana with a confused expression on her face.

"who's gilbert?" she whispered.

to y/n's puzzlement, diana shot a worried glance at ruby before replying.

"gilbert blythe is only the most popular and liked boy in our class!" she exclaimed in a hushed tone.

y/n's expression of perplexity remained on her face.

"every guy wishes he were him, and every girl swoons over him." diana muttered as she looked over at gilbert, who was socializing with his friends.

"well, i certainly won't." y/n stated pridefully.

"i sure hope so..." diana whispered fearfully. before y/n could question this, mr. philips walked into the room.

"settle down, settle down... nice to see you again, mr. blythe." he said.

y/n turned away from diana and faced the front of the room, her mind swarming with newfound thoughts.

***

lunch time rolled around, to everyone's relief. y/n stood up and walked outside to get her milk from the stream.

she bent down to reach for it, and when she turned back around someone was right there, staring at her.

"hey, i'm gilbert."

y/n stood there, mouth slightly agape.

he was much more attractive up close.

"and, uh, you are...?" he inquired, trying to break the awkward silence. y/n quickly snapped out of her trance.

"sorry, i'm y/n. nice to meet you."

"you too."

gilbert smiled at her sweetly, then glanced down at the apple in his hand.

"here... this is an apple from our orchard. they're real sweet." he gushed, as he handed it to y/n. she blushed a little as she took it.