christmas list ; part 3

y/n could hear the whispers and feel the stares.

it took all her power not to turn around and just tell them every single thing she was thinking about them, so that they'd lay off. sadly, she knew that wouldn't do anyone any good.

she stared as hard as she could at the blackboard where mr. philips was writing words for the students to define on their slates, but his instructions were zoned out. she was actually paying her full attention to the murmurs that crept up from behind her.

she couldn't hear much, but she definitely heard the words: loser, hate, and homely. her heart sunk a little. each insult repeated itself in her head, over and over again. she squeezed her eyes shut, as if scolding them for trying to spill tears. gilbert's voice rang in her ears.

"don't show defeat, yn,"

***

she let out a sigh of relief as mr. philips dismissed them for lunch.

gilbert saw y/n walk out the front door, and followed her.

"why would you want to eat in the cold?" he wondered aloud.

"well, we can't eat inside, obviously." she replied, making her way to the shed.

"it's because of those girls, isn't it?" he inquired further.

"took you long enough to figure out," she retorted.

"sorry, i just don't understand how being scared of them will make this any better, y/n." he reasoned as they both stepped inside the shed.

"confronting them certainly won't either." she mumbled, unwrapping her bread and taking a bite.

"anyway," she sighed.

"anyway." gilbert murmured.

"tell me about yourself, gilbert. if we're going to be friends, we should at least put in effort," she teased. gilbert chuckled.

"well, um, i would describe myself as global and bookish. i'd very much like to travel the world, you know, see what else is out there besides avonlea. i'm definitely going to college to be a doctor, and one day i'd like to settle down, and i guess have a family." he told her without hesitation.

"seems like you've got everything figured out." y/n observed. gilbert shook his head as he took a bite of his apple.

"i don't think any of us do, really. something's bound to go wrong eventually and change up our plans, and we definitely won't be ready for that. we will have to adjust to the situation, but some of us are better than others at that." he told her.

"i like the way you think." y/n admired. gilbert shot her a smile of gratitude.

"your turn." he said.

"okay... well, i would like to go to college too. i don't know what for yet, but something worthwhile. i definitely want to make a difference in the world, there's so much room for change and improvement... and when i settle down, i don't want to be the one who does all the housework and stuff. my husband and i will both have our fair share of housework and outdoor work." she informed him confidently.