christmas list ; part 2

y/n was there crying in gilbert's arms for what seemed like hours. they finally pulled apart, and gilbert broke the silence that was beginning to build up between them.

"what happened, y/n?"

y/n looked at him, sniffling and drying her eyes. she let out a humorless laugh.

"i think the real question is what hasn't happened to me." she replied in a despondent tone. gilbert shook his head at her, signaling his lack of understanding.

"i just mean that bad things never seem to evade me." she explained shortly. gilbert looked down at the ground, feeling sympathetic towards her.

"tell me what happened, y/n." gilbert insisted tenderly.

"they hate me, gilbert. but who wouldn't? i'm a no good, worthless, vexing little--,"

"don't say those things about yourself, y/n. none of them are true." gilbert interrupted.

"who hates you?" he added when y/n didn't respond. she scoffed and shook her head.

"all of them. every single one of those girls, and i have no idea why." she grumbled.

"don't mind them, y/n. you're an amazing person. they have no idea what they're talking about." gilbert soothed.

"well, neither do you!" y/n snapped.

"what?"

"you barely know me. how would you know anything about me gilbert?!"

"well, i-"

"better yet, why are you even talking to me?" she demanded breathlessly, staring into his deep and sincere hazel eyes.

they were silent for a moment before y/n's angry, cold eyes turned soft at his hurt facial expression. she sighed and held her face in her hands.

"i'm sorry, i'm just upset." she mumbled.

"understandable." gilbert replied shortly. y/n looked up at him with apologetic eyes.

"i shouldn't have snapped at you. you were only trying to help." she lamented. gilbert shook his head.

"it's fine. you have every right to be upset. now let me walk you home, you could use a friend." he suggested gingerly. y/n nodded weakly and started walking with him.

"what do you say we walk to school together tomorrow?" he blurted. y/n looked at him, slightly surprised. a small grin tugged at the corner of her lips.

"that would be nice, thank you gilbert." she agreed. he nodded consolingly.

"we can eat lunch together, too. you won't have to be alone." he added.

y/n chuckled softly at his generosity.

"it would be an honor to sit with the one and only gilbert blythe," she replied jokingly.

gilbert laughed and shook his head.

"the pleasure's all mine." he teased.