picnic

a warm spring day had befallen avonlea. it was the perfect weather-- warm, but not hot; breezy, but not windy; flowers dancing and birds singing.

y/n thought it was a shame she had to be cooped up in an uneventful schoolhouse on a day like this. she rested her chin in her hands, bored out of her mind.

she tried to listen to mr. philips, but for some reason she just couldn't focus.

something hit y/n's head and ricocheted onto her desk. it was a small, crumpled piece of paper. she furrowed her eyebrows and smoothed it out.

since it's so nice out, i thought it'd be cool to have a picnic with a couple of friends. would you like to come?

-gilbert

y/n felt a little smile appear on her face as she turned around to look at gilbert, who was already staring at her.

her smile grew bigger as she gave him a thumbs up. gilbert gave her a firm nod and a smile before looking away to continue his schoolwork.

***

school was dismissed by an irritated mr. philips. y/n quickly gathered her things while looking around the room wildly, searching for gilbert. her eyes found him, just as he stepped out the door.

she gathered her things up into her arms as quickly as she could and ran outside to catch up with him.

"gilbert!" she called.

he turned around. a small grin appeared on his face as he saw who called his name.

"hey, y/n,"

"so, um, who else is going to the picnic?"

gilbert froze up at this question.

"just... you know... people." he replied, looking straight ahead. y/n raised an eyebrow.

"okay then..." she chuckled.

an awkward moment of silence arose between them as they continued walking.

"well, see you there!" she blurted. with a wave and a smile, she was off.

gilbert chuckled as he watched her run farther into the woods.