Part 1: The Return

Trumpets flared as we winnowed into the newly built town square of my old home. The city that had once been a village miles away from the estate now spread all the way to the main gates. Trumpeters and fiddle players lined the shops and houses as the delegates arrived in the newly refurbished town square. We were due to arrive at five in the afternoon, so in true night court fashion, we winnowed in at five fifteen. The trumpets still played for us, regardless of our late arrival and some guard shouted of our arrival. With my feet safely on the ground and my hand in Rhys's, I looked towards the crowd and immediately regretted deciding to come.
A week prior Elaine barged into my studio, announcing that a letter from the spring court had come. That we were all invited to celebrate Calanmai in the spring court, for the high lord was to choose a wife. I ended the class early and rushed home to find Rhys in just as large of a panic as I was. 

One week prior

"We don't have to go." Rhys insisted, "We can decline, I'm sure another court will decline."
"Rhys, my spies say that everyone has already accepted," Az said from his corner of the room. Rhys swore loudly, his paces quickening.
"Ok...ok..um then I'll go alone. Make a presence and get out of there."
"Rhys, no," I said, grabbing his shoulder, forcing him to stand still. "What kind of message does it send to other courts, to OUR court, if only one of our leaders goes to represent us all. We are equal Rhys. Some courts are only now coming to that realization, we can't push ourselves back."
"You shouldn't have to go though. I promised you that you wouldn't have to go back." He said, " Why would I want you going back to a place that was your own personal hell?" I sighed and looked up at him. His eyes were cold and distant, fearful.
"Guys, can you give us I minute?" I asked the room at large. Everyone shuffled out as I lead Rhys to the couch. I sat on his lap and tilted his head up. "I can't hide from him forever Rhys. It's been 7 years, I can't wait forever."
"Seven years is like a blink of an eye."
"Not for me. Not yet at least. I still haven't fallen into your immortal grumpiness." I teased. I poked his nose, but he didn't look up or smile. "Eventually we will need to face him. Together. Why not now? I mean it is a celebration?" Rhys finally looked back up at me. He kissed every corner of my face with his eyes, now gentle and soft. He sighed after a minute and said: "I suppose now would be a good time, seeing as there's no major conflict between any court, and you're right, it would send a message for only one of us to go."
"Then it's settled. We're going. All of us. Elaine and Nesta can watch over the city." I kissed my mate gently on his lips, before moving my lips to his ear. "Plus who knows? He's choosing his wife on Calanmai. Maybe we can fuck up his rite and give everyone a little show." I whispered, my teeth grazing his ear lobe as I pulled away.

Present

All of my efforts to come were forgotten when I looked at the fae crowding the streets. Not clapping like they had done for the others, or booing as I had feared, but cheering. Cheering and shouting in joy at me as I walked down the streets with my mate. Some even held pained signs that said things like "thank you!" And "welcome back." It hit me as we continued down the square road that I had abandoned all these fae in the hands of a monster. Every single last one of them. Rhys could feel my thoughts and only held my hand tighter as he waved. I soon followed suit at waving to the fae. They cheered louder.
From behind me, I heard a loud laugh. I looked back to find Helion and Lucien laughing their heads off. Lucien told Helion something along the lines of 'I told you so' and kept laughing. I turned back around to Rhys with a small smile.
Can we just take them all back with us? Rhys said down our bond.
I wish.
Once we exited the main square the decorations started to appear. Red roses lined the streets, petals beneath us. I rolled my eyes and looked to Rhys.
Can I hate him more? He asked
I think you can, and just reached the maximum level
The other lords came into our sight as we rounded the peak of the hill. Everyone was spaced out by quite a few yards, and some were already in the estate. There was no doubt that our party was the largest. Most fae don't travel with their second, third, commander, and spymaster to every occasion. Or At least they don't bother showing them off in public. In front of us was the high lord and lady of the winter court. Mor let out a little squeal when she saw Viviane.
"Look at her with her crown, all empowered and equal and shit." She said, beaming like a mad man.
"Mor, remember, professionalism," Cassian said, clapping Mor on the back. Mor shoved his hand off her shoulder and laughed.
"Cass, we have to strap 7 death gems to you just to take you out of the house. I don't know how you even know the word professionalism."
"Mor I'm surprised you notice the 'death gems' over my huge wings."
"Why you-"
"Guys!" I said sternly. The manchildren behind me muttered sorry and look at the ground.
And you call me a mother hen. Rhys said. Kallias and Viviane were already inside the gates we were approaching. The wall seamed to loom over the inner circle as they got closer. Rhys pulled my hand over and swept an arm around my waist.
I got you
And so I entered the gates of my prison, but this time, I entered with my savior.