AU Bertholdt ━ In The Rain

EDITED

Inspired by "Louder" - Charice

Class is finally over as indicated by the school bell ringing. You gather your things in your arms and grab your bag, preparing to leave. You stop to look outside the window to see water freely falling down. It is raining and you have no umbrella with you.

You let out a sigh and walk to your locker. You place your things inside and stare for a moment. You wonder about getting home in this weather. Of all the days to forget your umbrella, it had to be today.

"You alright?" You turn to see your friend, Mizuki, approaching you.

"I forgot my umbrella." You say.

"I forgot mine too." She says sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck.

"What should we do now?" You sigh.

"I'm going to look for someone who's willing to share one with me. You should probably do the same." She suggests before waving goodbye.

You follow her advice and start asking around to see if anyone is kind enough to share their umbrella and have the same route home. Unfortunately, most of them are already in pairs, not giving you enough space to squeeze into. You groan in frustration, just wanting to go home at this point.

With a sigh of defeat, you grab your bag and wait by the shed near the school entrance. It looks like the rain won't be stopping any time soon. Shaking your head, you place your bag over your head and make a run for it.

'I'm just gonna run right through the rain'

You stop at the next waiting shed nearby. You look back and realize you haven't even traveled that far from school grounds. Not to mention, you are already soaking from running a third of a mile. It's impossible to reach home without getting so drenched.

You continue to run. It can't get any worse than this, right? However, due to the wet and slippery surface, you slip. You land with a thud and the materials of your bag scatter on the ground. You mumble curses under your breath as you pick up your damp notes and personal belongings.

Well, who cares about staying dry? There is no point in trying to avoid it now. You furrow your eyebrows and groan in frustration. You pace back and forth before squinting to look at the gray clouds. Only then, you realized...

You loved the rain. And you danced.

'I'm just gonna dance right through the pain'

For the first time today, you smile. A genuine one. You grab your things again and silently walk back home with a whole new feeling in your chest.

At one point of your walk, you stop to look at a store. The sight and smell of fresh croissants and hot cocoa catch your attention. You want to go in but you think about the little allowance left in your wallet and decide it's best to walk away from it.

You blink as the sensation of the drizzle on your skin comes to an end. You glance ahead and confirm the fact that the rain hasn't stopped, confusing you a little. You turn around and face a tall figure hovering over you with an umbrella in hand.

Bertholdt.

Your heart races as he smiles at you.

'I just wanna feel that rhythm, feel that drum. Let my heart beat louder. Let my heart speak louder than my head.'

His heart flutters as you smile back at him. Clearing his throat lightly, he offers to walk you home. He takes in how soaked you are, and the last thing he wants is for you to catch a cold. You couldn't help but think of how much of a gentleman he is.

You couldn't be any happier. On the way home, you dance in the rain with him. You both agree that it is inevitable to stay dry. You end up jumping on puddles and laughing under the gloomy weather together.

You were glad he found you.

More importantly, you were glad to find someone who actually loves the rain just as much as you do.