𝟕| 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐋

Deep breaths, I said to myself

Deep breaths, I said to myself. Really deep breaths, Charlie. I started hyperventilating. I was standing outside my house. My dad's car was in, meaning he was in there, drunk and probably beating my mother. I'm gonna suffer the same fate.

"Yo, Charlie," Kenickie yelled. "Whatcha waitin' for?"

'Shh!" I turned abruptly to him, putting my finger to my lips.

"What?" Kenickie shrugged and lit his cigarette.

"Hey, uh, Kenickie," I asked. He turned his head to me, telling me to go on. "Can we just go to school?"

"Your folks will wonder why you weren't home, Princess." He looked at me like I was a privileged. I shook my head.

"They're not that type," I looked down.

"Huh, I know how that feels." Kenickie said. "We can go to the orchard again tonight."

"Wait, really?" I asked, face lifting. "You'd do that?"

"Of course, you're a Pink Lady." Kenickie opened his car and turned the engine on. I climbed in, looking at the console for the radio. I tuned it to a rock and roll channel and Kenickie and I sped off.

I was bobbing my head to the music and singing along once in a while. Hound Dog by Elvis Presley came on and I turned it on louder.

"You ain't nothing but a hound dog!" I sang loudly. "Crying all the time!"

I laughed and rolled the window down in delight. I was so engaged in the music that I didn't hear or see the Scorpions car speed next to us. I looked at the blond straight in the eye and I yelped and shrunk down in my seat. I turned the radio off and closed my eyes, images of last night flashed through my head.

"Is this your Thunder Road?" The blond stretched out from his window, yelling at Kenickie.

"You bet your Crater Face ass it is!" Kenickie yelled back. He sped forwards and cut Crater Face off, veering off to the road where Rydell High was.

I must've had a look of shock on my face since Kenickie asked a "Hey, ya alright Mamba?"

I nodded, sitting back up. I held my head to keep it from hurting with all of my memories of what happened last night. I shivered, not wanting to think about it anymore, but my mind wouldn't let me have any peace and quiet.

We arrived at school, Kenickie and I wearing the same thing as last night. I just hoped that no one noticed. I smoothed my wrinkled clothing and popped a piece of gum into my mouth while stepping on my cigarette.

I closed the car door and Kenickie did too, bringing attention. Marty, Jan and Frenchy turned to look at us.

"Hey! It's Charlie and Kenick!" Jan exclaimed, coming over to say hello. Frenchy smiled and rushed over while Marty took her last drag of her cigarette before dropping it on the ground and stepping on it on her way over. Rizzo turned around, looking at me with the most menacing glare.