𝟐𝟎| 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝟏𝟗𝟓𝟗

[the picture above is Charlie at the carnival]

The next day was Thunder Road, then it was the last day of school. Honestly, the year past me by so quickly, I just wished I could freeze the picture and live in this time forever. It seemed like everyone was getting along and life was great.

We were in the garage, watching Kenickie hop into his car and feel up the steering wheel. I felt Doody and Sonny pick me up and hoist me over into the car. I squealed as Kenickie brought me down into the passenger's seat.

"You throne, m'lady," he smirked as he smoked his cigarette.

"Nice throne," I said, feeling the red leather seats. He started the car and started to drive out of the garage with Mrs. Murdock sitting up in the back. I've asked Kenickie, but there's no relation. She's just like a friend. But, they're just like mother and son. It's eerie.

We were out of the garage, now, Danny pointing us forward.

"Get it out!" He said over Kenickie's revving of the engine. "C'mon guys."

Doody was rolling in front of us on one of those rolling resting pad thingys, pointing as well but Kenickie didn't see him. Putzie and Sonny ran out, grabbing some last minute touch-up items. Danny rounded the car.

"Oh, well," Mrs. Murdock sighed. "It's in great shape, and it's as hot as the parts on it," she said, pointedly.

"Hey, we didn't steal all of it, some of it was donated!" Sonny said.

"Yeah, this baby is gonna knock 'em on their rears on Thunder Road," Kenickie mumbled into his cigarette.

"You could still change your mind," Doody said. Both Kenickie and I blew smoke into his face. I guess Kenickie learned that from me too.

"The flag goes down in three hours," Mrs. Murdock said, leaning over to Kenickie.

"Lighting strikes," Kenickie smirked, hitting Danny's chest. I scrunched my nose at his attempt at a catchphrase, but didn't say anything.

"Hey, Mrs. Murdock are you comin'?" Putzie asked excitedly.

"I don't expect my boys to let me down," she said as she started to climb out with me and Kenickie. "So I won't let them down either."

"Yeah Mrs. Murdock!" The gang laughed.

"I wanna talk to you," Danny said to Kenickie as he slung his arm over my shoulders. I expected this to be private so I started to walk away, only for Kenickie to pull me with him.

"I was kinda hopin' this'll be private," he said to Kenickie.

"Whatever you gotta say, you can say in front of Charlie," Kenickie mumbled into his cigarette. My heart sped up at his actions and words, making me love him even more.

"Look, those guys you're goin' against, they don't fool around, you know that," Danny said. He looked at me. "She knows that too."

I felt Kenickie's arms tighten around my shoulders. "What? You-you want me to punk out?" He asked as he threw his cigarette down and stomped on in

"No I'm not sayin' punkin' out, I'm just sayin'..." Danny trailed, looking at Kenickie with soft eyes. "You know what I mean."

Kenickie looked down at the ground, his hand finding mine and I gave an encouraging squeeze.

"Aye- aye, Danny, uh," Kenickie stuttered. "We've been friends a long time, right?"

"Yeah," Danny reassured.

"Well y-ya remember the drive-in, the other night, and then movie and the duel and the guy's best friend went with him and it was like his lieutenant and he was his second, ya know?" Kenickie rambled.