Chapter 4

"Hey. Psst." Emmett muttered under his breath to quietly for humans to hear. Never the less Charlotte turned her head like he had said normally. "What's the answer to Six?"

"Four." Charlotte muttered annoyed. Emmett muttered a thanks in normal whispering feeling accomplished with himself.

"Is there something you would like to share with the class Mr Cullen?" Mr Harries demanded in his monotone voice.

"Um.. No." Emmett said dully.

"Detention. Both of you. Here after school." Mr Harries went back to teaching. Emmett grinned, everything was going according to plan. Charlotte shot him an angry look, the bell ringing loudly.

"Did you do it?" Rosalie was waiting for Emmett outside of the classroom. Emmett nodded grinning as the watched Charlotte walk down the hall with another girl.

"I asked her way to quiet for a normal human to hear." Emmett grinned feeling proud of himself.

"And she heard you?"

"Yup. Clear as day."

~

"Mr Cullen and Miss Waters. You will be restocking the library shelves together. You may leave when it's done." Mr Harries led them into the library. Charlotte noticed the rest of the Cullens sitting at a table.

Throwing Emmett a conspiratorial look he shrugged. "They're my ride home." There were two carts filled with books next to the shelves. Mr Harries didn't follow them into the library obviously going to go home and not waiting for them to finish.

Charlotte took a cart wheeling it into the section they were suppose to go in. Emmett tried following her but she shook her head. "No. It'll be quicker if we each do one." She left several pairs of eyes follow her as she pushed she heavy cart into an isle. She began re-shelving the books she could reach. Eventually she got bored with the entire task a mere ten minutes later. She glanced down the isle seeing Jasper watching her closely. When their eyes met he looked away quickly but she did not. He was beautiful Charlotte had to admit. Something about this mysteriousness and quietness drew her in like a moth to a flame.

She turned back the shelf creating a breeze to knock over some books on a shelf across the library. Seeing the backs of all the Cullens heads Charlotte waved her hand above the cart of books, gold dust sprinkling down over the books. The Cullens turned back to what they were doing making Charlotte frown. Knocking over more books she waited until they were all looking before waving her hand through the air. The books rose silently off of the cart finding their rightful place on the shelves. Leaving the cart were it was Charlotte walked down the isle quickly wanting to leave.

"Where are you going?" Emmett asked still having half his cart to shelf.

Charlotte picked up her bag shrugging. "I spend a lot of time in libraries and book stores. I'm done." She turned her heel quickly walking out of the building.

"How is she done already! She had over half to go!" Jasper demanded. The Cullens heard Charlotte's bike roar to life in the parking lot.

"The better question is how the books fell out of the case... Twice!" Alice chirped.

"C'mon. There has to be a book in Carlisle's library that will help us!" Edward groaned. Emmett shoved the remaining books on random shelves then dashing out after his family.

"I was watching her. She couldn't have finished that quickly." Jasper muttered. He had watched Charlotte's tiny figure dart around putting books in their places. Standing on her tippy toes she could often barely reach the top shelf, sometimes doing small jumps.

"I'm sure you were." Edward grumbled. They pulled up to the Cullen house immediately headed for Carlisle's study. Esme rolled her eyes not bothering to ask what they were doing.

The teenagers milled around the room pulling books from the shelves skimming through them. They had not found a single thing yet. Most were on vampires and wolves. A few were on witches which was what Emmett was convinced Charlotte was.

"She's not a witch." Alice snapped annoyed. "She can hear us talking to quietly for her to be."

"Alright alright." Emmett sighed.

"Lets think. Is there anything to lead us in the right direction. She's tiny, good hearing, fast." Edward murmured. He pulled a leather bound journal from the bookshelf. Opening the first page was a list of characteristics.

Honest

Short

Strange eyes

Weird accents 

Odd events happen when person is near

Seems to float/glide when walk

Edward didn't waste time reading the rest because he was too busy flipping to the next page. Skimming down the handwritten notes he smiled.

"I found it."