Chapter 8

Jasper was nervous. He didn't know what to do about his feelings for Charlotte. He knew that harboring feeling for something so unknown was dangerous but it was Charlotte. Jasper was drawn to her in a way what worried himself because he didn't know what to do. He wanted to scream how he felt at the heavens and do triple back hand springs whenever Charlotte laughed at something he said.

Somehow he had found himself hesitating on Charlotte's doorstep. He wanted to turn around and walk away but no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't stop himself from knocking on the door.

Charlotte looked up from the small bird she was feeding. She hadn't expected visitors but then again she never got many visitors. "Door's unlocked." She called opening at window for the bird to fly out.

"Hi Charlotte." Jasper said walking up to where she was. "Will you come with me? I wanted to show you something."

Charlotte smiled slipping on some shoes gesturing for Jasper to lead the way. As they walked through the woods together Jasper told Charlotte of his human life and the vampire civil war he partook in.

"Hmm... A warrior then." Charlotte chuckled. "I am not surprised. The battle scars I've caught glimpses of suggest as much."

"How did you get yours then? From the Great War?"

"Heavens no! I wasn't alive during the Great War. The Council decided we would side against the Nazis in World War II. One of the few wars we helped in. Most we just watch from afar but this one we fought in. I got my rune then."

"None of you died in the war?"

"No. None of us died. We are not like you vampires. We can not be killed with fire." Charlotte hesitated. "Well I guess it can not hurt for you to know. There isn't a way you could ever find it. In Faerie we guard a tree. There is only one tree of it's kind, and we've taken it to Faerie to guard and protect. It is called a Dragonash. Scaley like a dragon hide but the color of ash. The sap is what is deadly to us."

"Why don't you burn it?"

"A very good question. There is a spot in the Council room where the marble is scorched. There was another throne there but it was removed. There was another faerie suppose to be on the Council. The first faerie really. Her name was Terrae, created when the earth was formed. Power to teleport and move objects with her mind, which is understandable because the earth just showed up one day. Depending on what you believe in. She tried to take sap from the tree have the power to rule Faerie alone since she was the first fey. She was banished from the Realm after that, the Council members ripped her wings from her body."

"Ripped her wings off? As punishment for trying to force people into dictatorship?"

"Faeries take our wings very seriously. It is what we are known for in the mortal world, what makes us special. Without them we would be considered a witch, but with them we are fey. It is a disgrace to have your wings taken from you; you are suppose to protect them. Most fey who get their wings stolen commit suicide or live in the outskirts of Faerie."

"I thought there was only one way to kill you?"

"Only one way you can. A faerie can choose to end their life at any time. It is sort of like a vacuum when we do. Anything in the room with us gets sucked into it. The faerie and anyone in the room dies with them."

"Is that why you never have your wings out unless you are flying?"

"Oh I have them out only when I'm alone. Or flying. I do not trust anyone when my wings are out. The other fey do not care as much around each other but anyone without wings we are weary of."

"We're here." Jasper stopped at the forest line. Charlotte took in the beauty before her, a meadow seemingly untouched by humans stretched out in front of her. Wild flowers bloomed everywhere, lush grass carpeted the ground.

"It's beautiful." Charlotte breathed. "I haven't seen something this beautiful in the human realm for so long."

"I found it weeks ago. Today when you were telling me about the meadow in Faerie i thought of this one." Jasper took her hand pulling her further into the clearing. He didn't let go of her hand as they made their way to the middle, standing in the grass. Charlotte had no words for what she wanted to say. The meadow reminded her of Faerie so much, but somehow in this moment here with Jasper this one was better.

"Thank you." Charlotte whisperers not wanting to disturb the peace. She looked appreciative up at Jasper who was grinning down at her fondly. Neither of them realized how close they were standing to each other until that moment.

"You have a feather in your hair." Jasper chuckled. His slender fingers plucked the feather out of Charlotte's hair carefully. He held it triumphant between spinning it before letting it flutter to the ground.

Jasper looked down into Charlotte's stormy eyes wondering what she felt in this moment. It annoyed him slightly that he couldn't tell what she was feeling so he could decide his next move. Did he kiss her like he wanted or put a respectful distance between them? Charlotte wanted to let herself go, to be happy again but she was scared. She had this irrational fear that Jasper would leave her just like William did.

Jasper who still held onto her hand aggressively pulled Charlotte against his body giving in to his desires. He leaned down tipping Charlotte's neck back in one fluid motion. Jasper laced his fingers through her hair with one hand, the other resting on Charlotte's waist. He pressed his lips against Charlotte's carefully, the first gentle thing about the entire process. Charlotte stood as tall as she can, leaning up into Jasper's embrace eventually balancing on her toes. Charlotte knotted her fingers through Jasper's blond hair tugging gently. Jasper deepened the kiss when he realized Charlotte was actually kissing him back, which made him want to do a small victory dance but not wanting to ruin the moment, he didn't.

Jasper pulled away eventually, resting his forehead on Charlotte's looking down into her eyes again. "I think that went a little better than I expected" Jasper chuckled.

"Hmm. And what did you expect?" Charlotte grinned.

"I don't really know honestly."

"Maybe you thought I'd push you away before running and screaming bloody murder?"

"Oh yes. That is what I was thinking would happen."

"Well it's a good thing that didn't happen then."

"I would of ran after you."

"Really?"

"I'll always run after you."