Phase 7: Race against Time, part 1

The first Castaway hospital was founded in 78 after Impact in Stockholm, Sweden. Many people condemned this move as discriminatory and compared it to a new form of apartheid. What they didn't realize is that the people from DIANA built the Pioneer Hospital, as they named it, in the best intentions, aware that Castaways are different from the Healthy and often require a special treatment according to their individual conditions.

The public's attitude towards the hospitals warmed over time and new Castaway hospitals were built all around Europe, offering the best possible care given by Castaway experts and surgeons. However, the hospitals started to be victimized by the opposite side of the spectrum. They were often attacked and partially destroyed by groups of militant anti-Castaway activists which would later become the Yeomen movement...

- An excerpt from the book The Castaways and the others, published in 96 a.I.

The two figures step forward towards me

The two figures step forward towards me. The way they keep their heads up despite what they caused infuriates me. It seems that I trusted the wrong people and, as the result, a huge part of my plan has been foiled. I fight the urge to attack them right away and tear them to pieces.

I decide not to. They, despite their failures, may be useful in the future.

Julia and Dimitri in a large hall in our secret hideout that has been nicknamed the "Throne room". Even though it's cold and rather uncomfortable, it's like my private apartment with everyting I need, divided into several "rooms" using metal frames with curtains on them.

I usually don't let anyone enter. When I do so, it's because they deserve honors... or the exact opposite.

"So," I take a look at them and enjoy the sight of their eyes desperately avoiding eye contact, "how can you explain what happened? Let's go one by one, so we won't end up talking over each other. It's impolite, as I suppose you know. So what about you, Julia?"

The woman pans her eyes across the room, not sure how to answer. I overdose on her uncertainty, on her fear. It makes me feel good. No, I can't get rid of her... there are too many ways she can make me feel good. But unfortunately for her, not all of them are pleasant to her, too.

I raise my eyebrows, stepping up the intimidation. "You told me that I can let you take care of it. That they won't be able to get past you and your squad. But they still did. How can you explain?"

"T...there were... too many of them?" she stammers, secretly hoping she can get away with this poor excuse.

My eyes keep penetrating her confidence. "Our informator stated clearly how many enemies will you face. If you had doubts about it, you should have brought more Vultures."

"But I had the gunners!" she wails. "They gave me the upper hand, but... the luck was on their side. One more showed up. They incapacited the gunners and..."