Phase 2, part 2

And I thought the worst thing that can happen today is getting punched by that bald bitch

And I thought the worst thing that can happen today is getting punched by that bald bitch. Yeah, it still hurts and I think I lost a tooth. But it's nothing compared to a sight of Zoya with a bullet in her shoulder, pale and trembling. It's not a sign of weakness. It's a completely normal response to getting shot.

Despite the cold weather, I open Zoya's jacket and start to treat her wound at least until the help arrives. "Talk to me, Zoya!" I shout. "Are you okay?"

The place of her bullet wound should be safe, but I can never be completely sure. I've met several Castaways who had their organs on different places than usual. Maybe Zoya is bleeding into her lungs right now. She manages to give a smile. "Don't be scared, Ryan," she says. "It's just... initial shock. If you let me walk it off a little, I'll be alright. But yeah, it hurts quite a lot."

"Just relax and don't move," Odin says with his deep, soothing voice. I can't help but like that guy. Despite his old age, he picked a fight with that hulking monster just to protect Zoya and me. Even though the fight wasn't long, his body language clearly says how weary he is.

After a while, we finally hear the ambulance's sirens. The doctors take Zoya into the car and remove the bullet right on the spot - the ambulances in DIANA are more like tiny mobile hospitals. They are able to mend the less serious cases without even entering the actual hospital.

While Zoya is being treated, Konstantin and I watch the Wardens handle the horrible bald Castaways. It takes a solid half an hour before the male one finally stops struggling and blacks out. I hear confused discussions speculating about their origin.

"I think I know what's behind them," Konstantin says. "Back in my days, during my active Neoclash career, I've met several Champions who completely lost their hair, just like these. They had one thing in common. They all took too much Augments and side effects started to kick in."

I snap my fingers. "Oh yeah, that's true! Augments. That's the key. It would also explain their disturbing apathy. Someone just pumped too much Augments into them!" I look at the scary figures on the ground. "But I'm afraid to ask how many Augments did they use."

"Let me guess - you want to find out," Konstantin says.

"Of course I do," I reply. "Can I ask you for something? Take care of Zoya. I will go and find out more about these Augment-overdosed abominations. She'll understand."

Before Konstantin can protest, I run towards the group of Wardens who deal with the incapacitated body of the Augment victim. Three strong Castaways are needed to move the body at all. In the end, the Wardens have to use a Counter-gravity mobile platform usually used to transport pallets of goods in supermarkets.

I follow the Wardens who aim towards the main headquarters. Even though all the Wardens are Castaways in blue jackets, I try to blend in. My life already taught me that if you pretend you belong somewhere, the people usually don't question you. So I just try to look professional as possible.