Phase 7, part 3

Fifteen years earlier

"Okay, now smile!" the photographer tells us. I stand next to my older sister while our parents stand behind us. The digital camera flashes and it takes only a few seconds until the photo emerges from the printer next to him. Then he inserts the photo in yet another machine and hands my dad a tablet computer. "You can pick a frame, Mr. Bridger," he says with a smile.

Dad holds the computer with apparent reluctance. I'd give anything to touch the device, to disassemble it and look into its guts, to examine the processor, the holographic nodes and all other components. Maybe I'd be able to build my own if given enough time. However, this will remain forbidden to me.

I don't even get to test the computers at school since I'm homeschooled - if it can be actually called "education". My parents only teach me the very basic I need to know. I want to know more, but this is, according to my family, a sin.

There's no science, only Bible study. My parents think that all I will ever need in my life are the names of ancient biblical patriarchs and events. When I'm not doing any good, instead of bad grade, a punishment follows. Usually it's just skipping lunch when I get some of the facts wrong. Dad rarely resorts to physical punishment, but it happens. It happens when I'm too curious.

I remember that when I was younger, I was wondering if the things described by St. John in Revelations 9:7-10 can be actually attack helicopters. I did some researches and sketches and then, backed up with evidence, I finally asked dad.

I had no idea this seemingly innocent question will result in slaps and endless prayers for forgiveness while being called a "blasphemer". Since then, both mom and dad kept telling me that curiosity and lust for knowledge are pathways to Hell. The more you trust God, the happier you will be. The more you question His creation and endless knowledge, the farther from Him you stray.

While I'm reliving my memories, the framed picture is finally done and dad takes us out from the shopping mall. How I'd love to spend more time here. All the astonishing technologies around me - holographic signs, computers, cameras, even several robots. But my parents don't want to stay in this blasphemous place longer than necessary. Especially because of me.

But the most fascinating of all are the Castaways walking by. In awe, I observe their powerful frames, pigment scars and other minor deformities on their faces and especially their artificial body parts. How I'd love to talk to one of them. To ask them about so many things.

Esther, my older sister, catches me staring at a Castaway bypasser. She gives me a scornful look. "Don't look at these godless creatures," she scolds me. "Any contact with them only leads you to Hell."

"Your sister is right," mom supports her. "They are God's mistakes."

I'd like to disagree, but I keep my mouth shut. I don't think they are a mistake. I think they're beautiful in their own way. Powerful. Maybe a next step in the human evolution - evolution in which I officially don't believe in. But fortunately, they can't control what's on my mind.