Chapter 1

Beep... Beep... Beep...

The room was filled with tension and everyone was sweating and breathing heavily. Silence engulfed the whole room leaving the sound of the Electrocardiograph Machine beeping, making sure to keep track of the patient's breathing. They had been working for almost 5 hours now without rest. This has to be done immediately and without fail.

They had given the patient a general anesthesia. This ensures that they will be asleep and pain free through the whole surgery.

She instructed some tools and the assistant obeyed giving her one tool at a time and made an 8- to 10-inch cut in the chest. She cuts through all or part of the patient's breastbone to expose the heart. The assistant exposed the part of the patient's body by using clamps so that they may begin the procedure.

After sawing through the sternum they began working on the heart.

This was not their first time to do a heart surgery but everytime they had one they couldn't deny the fact that they always feel a little bit nervous. This is a very delicate operation and one wrong procedure could endanger the patient's life.

Beep... Beep... Beep...

When joining blood vessels, she had to use sutures which are made of polypropylene and a plastic polymer which are as thin as a human hair. She called her assistant which hands her the magnifying surgical loupes so that she can be able to see while stitching. Some procedures requires both cutting and stitching tissues together.

She called again her assistant and hands her an electrocautery which cauterize as it cuts and seals the small blood vessels to cut through the pericardium, a sac that protects and contains the heart. She then remove the entire heart except for the back of the left atrium.

When the heart was removed from the body, the patient was maintained on a heart-lung machine. She then trim the heart to fit snugly in the chest cavity and connect it to the left atrium again, specially tailoring each anastomosis --- the joining of two blood vessels.

After 7 and a half hours, they had successfully done the operation without fail.

-----------------------------------------------

(door opens...)

She made a deep long sigh before looking at her wrist watch.

9:15 p.m.

"I'm starving",she said rubbing her belly then her nape twisting her neck a little bit to the right.

The hallways were a little bit quite with only few patient's roaming around while some where talking with their visitors.

"Hey, Doc. Wanna join us tonight? We plan to give ourselves a prize for the successful surgery",Hannah said as she giggled with excitement.

"Nah. I really need to take a rest. Besides, it's my day off tomorrow. I think these bags (pointing at her eyebags) are getting way too spoiled",she rolled her eyes then laughed with them.

"Okay, then. Have a good rest Doc. See you around!",the three of them bid their good bye and opened the glass door.

Suddenly, an ambulance came to a halt right a the front of the hospital door.

"Coming through!",four nurses came from behind her who were in a hurry carrying a stretcher.

The ambulance driver along with his assistant immediately opened the back of the ambulance and lift up a man who was unconscious. Upon placing the man properly on the stretcher, the four nurses pushed their way back inside the hospital. As they pass by her, she looked at the patient.

She furrowed her brow upon seeing two tiny holes on the man's neck. Small drops of blood was dripping out of it making a small path down the white sheet.. But what could have caused such incident? Is there a dangerous animal on loose? And what's more interesting is that those two tiny holes shouldn't do that much damage to the patient, but he looks like he had lost a lot of blood already.

She closed her eyes and massage her nose bridge. She better go home, eat and get some rest.

Usually, after surgeries, she would just sleep at her own office which was like her second home. But this time, she felt the urge to go home and spend her day off sleeping and eating.

"I look horrible",she said looking down at her body.

~~ + ~~

Clankkkk....

Clanggg ...

Pakkk...

She was awaken by some loud noise coming outside.

1:29 a.m.

"Ughh!",she groaned covering her face with both hands. She remained sitting then looked at the window covered with blue curtains.

"Will you keep that down! We're sleeping okay!!!",she heard her neighbor shouting.

"Fck it! Get some sleep assholes!",another one shouted.

Then there was silence.

"Good...",she muttered then falls asleep.