Chapter 2

Five days later Mac stood at the American Airlines flight gate with Reego by his side. The attempt to ease his furry partner into being okay with him leaving had failed miserably. He'd cried nonstop each night at the kennel and refused to eat. After 4 days of trying the captain had finally called them both into his office.

He'd advised that although it had never been allowed before and had initially been dismissed as out of the question, there was no specific policy forbidding K9 handlers from taking their partners on vacation with them. The Sheriff was still concerned of the liability imposed on the Sheriff's office but felt confident in Mac's ability to keep Reego safe. He felt the risk of the dog travelling was outweighed by the risk to his health and well being if he were forced to remain at the kennel for 3 weeks while Mac was on vacation.

Mac was happy, he couldn't lie. He wouldn't have been able to enjoy himself knowing Reego was miserable back home. He'd quickly called the airline and made the arrangements necessary to bring him along. Reego currently stood docilely next to the large plastic kennel and looked at his handler. They were waiting until the absolute last minute before imprisoning him for the 8 hour flight to Cozumel.

Mac looked up from his friend and saw Derek and Tammy approaching from the busy concourse thru-way. Tammy looked glamorous and absolutely ready for an island getaway vacation in a bright flowered sundress, sandals and shades. Her blonde hair and blue eyes looked even more brilliant against the tan she'd acquired in the last few weeks.

In contrast her husband Derek was tall, muscled and pale as milk. Derek Huff had the fair complexion given to most red haired individuals and found it impossible to obtain even a whiff of a tan. He liked to joke that he'd been instrumental in ending the war in Iraq simply by blinding the insurgents with his broad chest when they'd tried to shoot at his platoon.

Both Mac and Derek had opted for loose cotton shirts, cargo shorts and flip flops. In Mac's opinion, the flight would likely be awful enough; he'd better be comfortable for it.

Tammi extended her hands and happily greeted Mac. He learned quickly that she possessed a warm, inviting personality that was infectious as she chatted excitedly about the voyage they were embarking on. Derek gave Mac a quick handshake and after introducing his wife and moved straight to petting Reego.

"What up fluff man?! So glad you get to come!" Reego cocked his head to give Derek better access to his ears.

Mac introduced Tammi to Reego who was pleased to have another person to pet him.

"It's a good thing Madison isn't here. She'd just go crazy over the doggy," she gushed. "Madison is our 3 year old. I don't know if you've met her?"

"I have actually. She and Reego have met as well. Derek brought her by the K9 booth at the fair last year," he smiled at the memory of the bubbly little chubby blonde cherub. "I've been trying to convince Derek that you guys need a puppy. I even volunteered to help him train it."

"That would be great! We'll talk more about this." She gave him a conspiratorial look as Derek gave them both a stern head shake in the negative.

Before he could voice his protests Pete and Becca arrived with a thin, dark haired woman tottering on very high heels in tow.

Becca looked radiant with her rich brown hair recently cut into a stylish bob and her dark eyes sparkling. She'd opted for khaki shorts and a coral tank top with a tan fedora. She looked casual and lovely beside the other woman whose sequined turquoise dress appeared too tight and short to be truly comfortable.

Becca gave Mac an affectionate hug and turned to the woman who stood with an expectant gleam in her eyes that made him want to take a couple steps back.