Chapter 8

The group took every advantage of the hot sunny weather over the next few days. Brenna learned that parasailing wasn't her thing, mostly because of the height but snorkeling definitely was. She'd thoroughly enjoyed the peace and tranquility under the surface of the sea.

All her previous watching of the Discovery Channel had never done it justice.

A local resort had thrown a beach party that had included a roast pig and dancing in the moonlight.

Still feeling off center and uncertain after her talk with Tammi and Becca, she'd tried her best to keep her distance from Mac without being too obvious but hadn't been able to bring herself to turn him down when he'd asked for a dance. In the tiki torch softened blackness of the night she'd even allowed herself to move closer into the warmth of his arms, just inches from touching.

She'd felt relieved when he's simply thanked her for the dance and walked away into the night. Truthfully she'd not known what she'd have done had he moved in closer. In her mind she'd seen him bring his face down and brush his lips across hers. The guilt had flooded her stomach along side extreme yearning and she'd quickly dashed the fantasy.

The days were much easier since she was distracted with all the sights and activity but at night her imagination turned against her and toyed with her loneliness. She'd found long walks along the beach helped when the restlessness overtook her.

With only 5 more days stretched out before them they'd decided to travel to the back side of the island where a local had described a secluded beach with several caves where the natives had painted the walls in reverence to their traditional faith.

Brenna had been packing the picnic basket for the trip when Derek had waltzed in looking for a snack. She'd thrown him an apple and only shown a little curiosity when he'd stayed to eat it, showing obvious signs of having something to say but not knowing how to approach it.

FInally the strange silence became too much and Brenna broke.

"So...... what other than an apple did you need?" she asked without looking up. She continued to spread spicy mustard on the bread before her.

"He's a good guy." Brenna continued her work and waited for him to continue. "Pete's known him forever and I've known him a few years. I started out worrying about you but now I'm more worried about him."

This caught her attention. She put down the butter knife and placed both hands on the counter.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, if you aren't ready or simply aren't interested just sit him down and tell him. That way he doesn't have to interpret. Guys suck at that." He shrugged uncomfortably.

"Has he talked to you about this? I was not aware there was anything I should be concerned about?"

"No! He hasn't said anything. Not to me anyway I've just seen chemistry between you two. I think he's interested but just doesn't know what to do with his interest." He chewed a second in thought and threw the core in the garbage in frustration. "It's none of my business. I'm sorry. I'm butting out, forget I said anything cuz I shouldn't have."

"No it's ok. I'll think about it."

Derek nodded once more, turned and swiftly exited the room. True to her word Brenna thought long and hard about what he'd said while she continued to assemble the food.

************************

Isabelle had bowed out at the last minute claiming a lunch date with one of the men from their night out.

Derek announced he and Tammi would be going out on a date that evening after their return and Brenna had convinced Pete that he and Becca should do the same. So the group set out to see the cove and enjoy the day before splitting up for the evening.