Epilogue

The New Year had rolled over the brink riding the wave of a white, glistening blanket of snow. Brenna stood staring into the night watching the moonlight dance across the expanse through the large glass window. Mac's large frame approached in the mirrored reflection behind her and folded his arms around her body.

"So this is where you got off to." She leaned back against his broad chest and breathed deep his scent. Even with the stiff, unfamiliar material of the tuxedo his chest was easily the most comfortable spot in the place.

"I just needed a moment and I found this awesome room with these big windows and this giant fire place." She gestured toward the towering stone fire place taking up the entire wall beside her.

"It is a really nice spot. Have I told you today how lucky I am to have the most beautiful wife on the planet?" He ran his big warm hands up and down her arms as they stood gazing at their reflection in the window.

It was a handsome picture of a loving couple on their wedding day. Mac of course looked handsome and amazing. Every time she saw him he took her breath away. She wore a cream colored, empire waist, chiffon, sleeveless dress that clung just enough to highlight her curves without being too much. The girls had pulled her hair up and talked her into tall ivory heels.

"Well, I've only officially been your wife for a little over 6 hours." She caught his hand and intertwined their fingers.

"It's true none the less." He kissed her temple and spun her round to face him. "Tired? It has been a long day but just think, this time tomorrow we will be on a beach, alone under a warm Tahitian moon."

She closed her eyes as she pictured it. "It's been a lovely day but it has been very long and the fire is so warm and you are so warm........" She leaned into his chest and he held her close taking in the feel of her small body against his.

"Reego seems to agree." The both glanced over to where the large dog was curled up napping in the heat of the fire. The soft strains of jazz music drifted down the hallway on the heels of a waiter headed for the kitchen. "We still have about thirty guests in there, the diehards, but I don't see why we can't slip away to the room if you want. Just give them a quick goodbye."

Brenna glanced at the little silver clock on the stone mantle and saw they were pushing 1 a.m.

"Mmmmmm.....sounds good. Just you and me naked."

"Then a nice flight and 2 weeks in the warm sun and sand."

"Then a whole new life." She ran her arms under his tuxedo coat and wrapped them around his torso so she could be even closer to him. "In so many ways."

"You nervous to go back out on the streets?" She shook her head. "Excited?" A small nod.

"A little. I miss the hands on, the action."

"I can understand that. I love being out on the street with Reego in the backseat." He knew he'd worry about her more but he also knew she worried about him just as much. They were both do'ers, sitting behind the desk had helped her heal but they'd both known it wouldn't be forever.

"We'd better get in there and take our leave."

She nodded against his chest but didn't move. They stood there for a moment longer wrapped up in each other before finally breaking apart. Mac took her hand and whistled to Reego to come. The dog unwound himself and followed.

Before the entered the crowed ballroom Brenna stopped and pulled Mac up short with her.

"Thank you. Thank you for loving me." She stared up into his earnest face with love shining from her eyes.

Mac just smiled down at her face in wonder and confusion. "It was never a choice but if I had been given a choice I would still have chosen to love you. God made you for me."

With that he took her hand and they rejoined the wedding reception.