Chapter 24

Mac was like a kid in his enthusiasm to rectify what he called the "ring situation". Despite her assurances that it didn't matter to her he'd insisted they select one that day and had waited impatiently for Brenna to ready herself for going out.

She'd fussed a bit over the glass case choosing the plainest rings to try on. Mac pointed at much more elaborate and consequently more expensive rings.

"I'm not a really big and blingy kind of girl Mac."

"You aren't a plain Jane, no bling kind of girl either Brenna," he cocked an eyebrow at her in challenge. "I know you're worried about spending too much. I am a single, workaholic with no real vices to waste my money on. I've saved very well for myself and for the woman I hoped I'd meet some day. You are that woman and I want to show the world that. Choose the ring you want or I'll choose the one I think you want but won't admit to."

Brenna smiled to herself. How could she really argue with him when he'd said it like that?

Shortly thereafter they settled on a white gold band with a 1/2 carat round cut diamond in the middle and 2 strands of tiny diamonds swirling in a spiral pattern around it. Brenna had to admit it was more extravagant than any piece of jewelry she had ever owned but it was also absolutely gorgeous. The matching bridal band was a simple white gold band with tiny diamonds inset that the jeweler had assured could be welded together after the wedding to make it one unit.

Mac had chosen a wide titanium band the he could wear at work without fear of harming it or injuring his hand during the rough calls. The two wedding rings were placed in boxes for the future. Brenna wore the engagement ring out into the sunlight of the day and gasped when the sun hit it.

Brenna sat in the passenger seat of the truck the whole way home staring at her two hands laid out flat on her thighs. The new ring adorned her left ring finger. A single gold band with its solitaire diamond she'd accepted with such joy years before from Greg still on her right.

She no longer felt the ball of guilt and shame in the center of her stomach. The dream had helped her find peace with her past and her future. She'd truly loved Greg with all of her heart but she now also loved Mac so very much.

If anyone had asked her only a few months ago if she thought there could be another person for her as perfect as Greg had been she would have said no but now she had to accept the thought that possibly God had provided her with a second soul mate.

Back at Brenna's they snuggled on her couch as they planned. Mac was impatient but Brenna wanted an outdoor wedding and winter wouldn't allow it so they'd have to wait for spring. He'd grudgingly agreed to a date at the end of April when it was fairly reasonable to assume there would be decent weather.

Brenna didn't feel as if she deserved a full traditional wedding since it wasn't her first but Mac pointed it out that it was his first and he wanted all the memories of her happiness. She'd giggled tensely as Mac had dialed Pete and Becca then put them on speaker phone so she could hear the call.

Pete had needed only a few reassurances to believe they were indeed earnest before heartily whooping with excitement. Becca had made a squeal that was almost in the range where only dogs could hear it and demanded a spot as a bridesmaid. She'd brooked no complaint when Brenna had expressed her desire for she and Tammy to be dual maids of honor since Brenna couldn't choose one over the other. Pete accepted Mac's request for him to attend the best man position.

The call to Derek and Tammi went similarly with Tammy whole heartedly accepting her partnership with Becca and Derek agreeing to groomsman status. The ladies agreed to meet for coffee the next day to start hammering out the details. Mac agreed entirely that Brenna should figure it out with her friends and simply instruct him in what he was required of for his part.