40

Unedited.

~~~

Days passed by and Maryam's attitude towards her husband had not gotten any better, in fact, it had only gotten worse. She neither cooked for him nor talk to him and when he talks to her, she would reply him curtly or ignore. His home was slowly turning into a house for him. Manal was the only person who was eager to see him whenever he came back from work.

Sa'eed couldn't concentrate well in the office and thought of ways to bring Maryam back to her old self. He knew it wouldn't be easy, but he was more than willing to give it a try. He decided to invite his sister over to their house since their university was on vacation and hopefully, Maryam wouldn't be so lonely and sad anymore. Zainab would even be of help to Maryam in regards to some household chores.

Fumbling for his cellphone on the table, Sa'eed suddenly remembered he promised his wife to be early today. He drew in his breath and found his cellphone laying just beside his briefcase on the table. He picked it up and dialed his sister's number. She picked at the second ring.

"As salamu'alaikum." Came her voice from the other side of the line.

"Wa alaikum salam, Zee. How are you?"

"I'm fine, alhamdulilah. How's ya Maryam and my cute little princess, Manal?" She inquired.

"They're both fine. How's mum?"

"She's okay, but as we speak, she's scolding Hassana and Hussaina for breaking her most cherished vase."

Saeed chuckled. How much missed having his nieces and nephew around. He couldn't believe the twins were still up to mischiefs. "Ya Ahmad and his family are there? Wow! I had no idea. For how long have they been around?"

"Almost a week now."

"And no one told me. How are the children, Faisal and the twins?"

"They're all fine."

"Ma sha Allah."

"Is ya Maryam close to you? I want to greet her. I miss her so much."

"I see. That's the reason you call her frequently." Sa'eed remarked, sarcastically.

Zainab chuckles was very audible to Sa'eed's hearing. "I do, but these days, her number just isn't going through. Is she close to you right now?" She asked again.

"No, I'm at the office."

"Oh! I will just have to keep trying her number and hopefully, I'd be able to get through to her."

"Alright. Manal misses you."

"Really? I miss her so much as well."

"Since you miss them so much, why don't you come to visit?" He offered.

"I'd have loved to, but-"

"Maryam is pregnan-"

"REALLY! I WILL BE IN ABUJA TOMORROW. MUM! MUM! have you heard the good news."

Saeed heard his sister squeal before apparently running to their mother to spread the news. Knowing his sister, she'd want to come and stay for a really long time since their school was on vacation. Maryam would no longer feel so lonely anymore - this thought brought a smile to his face. He was sure his sister would remove all traces of boredom from his home. He trusted her.

• • •

Sauntering into the house, Saeed met with an unexpected scene unfolding in the middle of the living room - Maryam's grip was around Manal's fragile arm tightly and she was yelling at her.