65

Watching him saunter out of the house, broke Maryam's heart into uncountable pieces. She was able to take anything from her husband, but never his anger. It was one thing she couldn't bear. His anger towards her always made her feel like the worst person on the surface of the earth and it wasn't an exception now. She felt extremely bad for speaking to him in the manner she did. For provoking him.

Her breath ceased for some seconds when she sighted the blood at the back of her palm and few droplets that trailed towards the exit of the house. Realizing Sa'eed had unintentionally cut himself while trying to take the knife away from her, she felt even more bad - if this was even possible.

Without a doubt, she knew he was hurt - pained by her words. She felt the same as well. She did not mean to say those bad things about the precious baby Allah had bless them with, but she had to do it, because she knew it would push Sa'eed to his limits. One thing she was sure of, was that he could not tolerate any hatred towards his children - he was that kind of a father and Maryam did just that, by calling the child a mistake.

Not able to spurn the thought of her daughter in Nafisa's hands, probably maltreating her, she contemplated on leaving the house regardless of her husband's disapproval and later agreed on leaving. It had been almost an hour since her husband left and hadn't returned. The wait was killing her. Her daughter was much important to her at the moment. Without thinking about what the dire consequence would be, she rushed towards the door.

Just as she was about to leave the house, she bumped into Sa'eed and lost her balance. Fortunately, he was able catch her before she could reach the ground.

Maryam released a sigh of relief. She couldn't even imagine what would have happened to her baby if Sa'eed had not caught her. She opened her mouth and was about to speak when he walked pass her. "Please listen to me. I was about to-"

"Leave the house." He completed her sentence for her. "What are you waiting for then?"

Judging by his demeanor, Maryam could tell, his anger had not lessened at all. His brows were tightly furrowed and his muscles were tensed. "I don't want to disobey you, but I have no choice at the moment. Please find a place in your heart to forgive me." She cried. "Just never forget, I'm doing all these for the sake of our family. You would have done the same if you were in my shoes." Sje stated, confidently.

Her words had him puzzled to the core - just what was she on about? She was asking for separation for the sake of their family? How did that even make sense?

Realizing he had no intention of replying her, she turned to leave, but before that, her gaze caught the sight of his injured palm. Swiftly, she rushed towards him and knelt in front of him, holding his hand in hers. "You're injured." She voiced.

"I know." He replied and withdrew his hand from hers.

"Let me treat this for you." She beseeched, attempting to grab a hold of his hand again, but he wasn't giving her a chance to do so.

Heaving a fatigued sigh, she rushed towards where the first aid box was kept and returned just as soon. She took her former position in front of him and attempted to hold his hand again, but he didn't allow her. "Stop being stubborn. It's going to get infected if we don't treat it right away."

Attempting to grab a hold of his hand this time around, he allowed her. She gave a small smile before placing her hand underneath his. With great care, she cleaned the cut with antiseptics and covered it with a bandage. "Even though I'm not going to be by your side anymore, always remember to take care of yourself, please."

Meeting his gaze with hers in a nostalgic way, he withdrew his hand from hers. "For the last time, why are you doing all these?" He demanded for an answer and when he sensed she wasn't going to give him the reply he yearned for, he continued; "we're a team, remember? You can tell me anything."