Letter 12

Dear Pat,

There's an odd joy in the little things. The big moments are something that are imprinted in our memories for sure. But it's the little things that make the every day so magical. I know why you asked me to write letters, Pat. Because I think you knew I'd find magic in the little things and I'd want to talk about them and make written memories out of them. And who better than you to safekeep them, my fairy godmother, my everything!

I was standing in front of my cupboard today, ready to pull out the first thing that came to hand before rushing to work when I caught a glimpse of the dupatta you had gotten me from Rajasthan. The beautiful royal blue Leheriya one, Pat that you thought would look nice on me. I pulled it out, a smile automatically appearing on my face. It reminds me so much of you, Pat. Colourful and restless. Happy and carefree.

I decided that I would wear it today. I know it was a little more jazzy for work than what I usually wore but I wanted to. I then reached out for the little pink case where I stored my most precious collection of jhumkas. The ones I have painstakingly collected from when I was 16. I can't believe I have so many now. Ah the joy of finding the most beautiful jhumkas across the country, Pat. I remember you telling me that while you may have begun this collection for me, there will come a day when I will add my own stories in the form of each jhumka to this very case. <3

I picked out the long silver ones that you got for me from Kashmir. The ones that have little ghungroos all over, Pat? Yeah that one! And then I pulled out the white chikan kurta set. I even wore a bindi, Pat. I can hear your voice in my head.

"The outfit is lovely, Baby. But the bindi will make it complete."

Pleased with the output in the mirror, I picked up my bag and walked out of my room. I crossed the hall when I looked up as I noticed a movement.

Tanmay was walking across his room, absently looking outside and talking into his phone. He had crossed over when he did a double take. His head appeared at first in his doorway, his phone still held to his ear. He then fully leaned back and looked at me. He then realized that someone was still on the line and just absently replied, "Huh?"

I grinned widely at him, the same way I did the first time I met him. I waved at him and pushed my hair back self-consciously. It hadn't occurred to me that he was still at home and he would catch my new appearance.

He then blinked. A slow smile appeared as he said, "Haan haan" into the phone, his gaze never wavering from mine. He then raised his hand and placed it on his heart and mouthed the word 'wow!'

I smiled and pointed towards his phone, questioning wordlessly if he was still talking to the person on the line. He looked towards his phone and then back at me to roll his eyes and shake his head. He then pointed at me, leaned on his doorframe and smiled at me. Pat, it made me feel like I was a scenery he had just discovered outside a window that he had to just pause and take in, in peace. It made me feel...precious. I let out a small chuckle, feeling all gushy inside, waved at him and turned around to leave.

It's the little things, Pat, that I will carry with me when I leave this city. :)

Much love,

L.

P.S. I miss sneaking into your collection of jhumkas. Gimme!

Author's Note: Hi guys! Okay, I'll be honest. I love little things as much as Lakshmi does. I've realized that it's the little things that make me smile every single day. Which is why this chapter is my new favourite.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much I did writing it. It's been playing in my head for a while now ergo I had to write it out as soon as possible. Let me know your thoughts, eh? It makes me happy. :D

In other news, I have picked up a new book by Helen Hoang. I hope it'll be fun. :)

Later!

S.