7 - Lake Lumere - Part 1

My mood has dropped a bit again.

The reason is Eric.

I thought we'd made up just a little bit, but he really does think of me as a villain. I showed him a slightly scary smile and he actually leaned back and lost color in his face. Still, I cannot be angry with him. It's only been a couple I of days since I got my memories back, but I thought the apology would help a bit more than this.

As to relieve my building stress I head for the garden pond, and kick off the high heeled slippers as I get to the water edge.

Lily used to come here a lot. Apparently the pond connects to the lake outside, and as such it is a place of power. According to Lily's memories, this place was supposed to be a gathering place for water faeries.

Still, no matter how often Lily appeared here a fairy would never choose her. How Lily in the novel finally ended up with a fairy is beyond me. I don't really have any hints either due to the vague background story of the book.

The backstory is pretty much reduced the Heroine's mother dying in a bandit raid the day after the midsummer festival because I not only demanded that she showed up, but also that she fetch me a dress from the city tailor.

I can't really do anything about the situation either as it is only early springtime.

I slide off the stockings and happily wriggle my toes in the soft grass. It feels like it's been too long since I did something like this. The sunshine heats my body while the cold grass cool my feet down a bit. The refreshing feeling calms me down a bit.

Now, back to focusing on magic. I want to find out whether there are any gods in the area or not and how strong they are.

I close my eyes and start with a deep breath. First I'll focus on my breath... then my heartbeat... it's the state of a half trance... light meditation... all achieved in an instant of focus.

"She's back, she's back."

"Again?"

"Does she never tire?"

"She's as gaudy as ever."

"No thank you~"

Insistent muttering draws my attention before the presence of any god can.

Faeries?

Even wind gods aren't that cruel.

I couldn't see them before, but they're definitely there. Gathering by the water.

They're staring at me.

Jeering at me.

Mocking me.

They don't know I can see them. Probably because this magic isn't from here.

My stomach knots up again as I decide to ignore them. I don't know enough about them to deal with them.

I gaze quietly at the pond instead and search for the presence of the lake god. I'm no good with other elements, and I have always preferred water. They're willful and the only real way to grab their attention is to keep calm. Another important thing is that they cannot speak.

"What is she doing?"

"No idea, probably looking for us."

"Heh, she'll try, she'll fail... as usual."

So loud.

Ah, there is one.

The lake god is definitely there, and it seems stronger than I expected. However, it's sleeping quite deeply.

I am so glad I spent a lot of effort in memorizing the prayers in my previous life. If not I likely wouldn't have been able to communicate or ask it for favors. I brush the hem of my dress under my knees with a bit of huff and effort as I kneel down by the edge of the water and get ready. I pat the frills of the dress down and straighten it out. Once. Then twice.

After a couple of deep breaths I elegantly lift my arm to the side, gently flipping the wrist. The introduction has started.

"The journey of time never ends, neither does the journey of the gods of water. Thou who sees the motions of history itself journeys through the world.

Thou shall be revered

Thou shall be praised."

I clap my hands together in prayer, and as I do, the energy around me trembles. The voices of the faeries fade into silence.

"Thou who brings life, may you prosper."

"Thou who nurtures the living, may life sparkle in your reflection."

"Thou who blesses journeys, may your own journey sate your curiosity."

"Thou who sleeps, wake to my voice and my humble request."

"To thou who does not speak, I will listen, and I will respect."

I clap my hands together once more, and the water ripples from my spot.

Then the surface of the water breaks in a blossom of water, it swirls and reflects the sunlight millions of sparkles of light. The petals slowly close. Some fold to legs, others to a body and arms, and finally the inner leaves form a helmet on the humanoid water figure in front of me.

The water god of Lake Lumere answered my prayer, and it stands now in front of me in the shape of a knight made entirely out of water. Even taking on a humanoid form to communicate...

It lightly tilts its head to the side... but as I try to speak my mind goes blank...

Honestly, I had no confidence my prayer would work... so my throat is chokes up and my eyes start burning from tears trying to escape at the sight of the god in front of me.

I need to talk of course. I cannot leave a good waiting... so... why can't I stop the tears from filling my eyes?

My vision blurs even though I try to blink away the tears, and instead of a word only a choked out sob escapes me.

It's a pitiful and disgraceful sight to present to a god I've woken up.

Something cool presses against my cheek, and in an instant the tears a cleared from my eyes. Lumere has knelt down in front of me and gently caresses my cheek like one would do to a child. It's cool hand of water brushed below my eyes and took away the tears.

Lumere gently moves the hand to the top of my head, and though my hair gets soaked my heart jumps. Lumere is... such a gentle god...

I cry my heart out, my stomach and chest screams with pain as I scream out my feelings...

I died. It was an extremely painful death. I was scared. I know I am not allowed to be scared of death, but it's horrifying to die alone.

I woke up in a place with no allies. A place filled with enemies and with a fate where I was to die again after being tortured. I'm in the body of a child, and in the body of a woman not allowed to wield a sword or go to war. In this world I am weak. My pathetic struggles come down to begging and hoping.

I've wanted to go home.

That's why... To be able to meet Lumere... to be able to have a little piece of home overwhelms my heart with relief.

For that same existence to express kindness made my composure crumble.

I've been lonely.

After everything that happened. After their deaths and Kenta's betrayal. I can't take it anymore!

I get soaked throughout as Lumere wraps its arms around me, and it does nothing but that. Just waits quietly and nurtures the life right in front of it.