42 - Fragile Situations - Part 1

I was expecting nothing good from Father's return.

In fact, I was half expecting torture as he deemed me not his daughter. I had considered that I might be forgiven a little because I'd defended the castle, but I was still expecting nothing good... but... he just stared at me with those calm eyes I couldn't quite read.

Honestly, I knew I was in over my head. Before this the Royal Family itself didn't have any motive but to attempt to please House Celeste... however that was going to change now. It was truly the worst possible situation for me.

I wanted out of the engagement, of course. However, without the engagement the Royal Family didn't have anything to hold House Celeste's loyalty. It wasn't like we would join up with the enemy, but there is a big difference in whether or not you push your men during a march... things like that...

The problem was 'Augustus'. He would be considered valuable, and his loyalty even more so. If House Celeste was connected to the Royal Family, then they'd be able to call on him for war, as he would be Lily's twin brother.

Of course, I cannot be both places at once, and nor can I live a life as Augustus as Lily would disappear.

On a more personal level. Let's say the engagement continues as it is now. Alstair will want to break the engagement when he meets the heroine, but he cannot since the royal family considers the connection to my house valuable. Instead of giving up, he can start pulling strings. With enough 'evidence' I'll look like a criminal and... well... we will be back to how the story was originally. In other words, my efforts with Eric and the Heroine will be worthless. One is supposed to be ignorant, and the other too naive.

Somehow my neck feels chilly...

I would have preferred that Augustus is considered dead... however... now where I sit in the carriage on our way to the capital in 'Augustus'' outfit, I know that won't happen.

We're going there to get a 'reward' from the king.

However, he's likely there to judge me.

Personally I pray that Alstair won't be there. I don't want to consider the possibility that he realizes that there is no twin, just a 'mask'.

---*---

I peer out the carriage at the breathtaking scenery of the 'Flower Capital's' streets. The half-timbered houses shine white with chalk bought from the Salender territory, and at the feet of each and every house shines countless of flowers. Just walking through the capital itself will make you feel like you're walking through a garden, with flowers at every window, every tree planted between the pedestrian's path and the road for carriages. Even the trees have flowers, and each tree type matches that of the street, and between the trees are flower beds surrounding benches, just there for you to enjoy the view and relax.

The roads are well cobbled with pale grey stones, allowing traffic to pass even on these extravagant boulevards with shops and rare flowers everywhere that turns the heads of pedestrians. Truly, if they did not have the specific paths for pedestrians I can imagine a high number of traffic accidents caused by people simply being distracted by the view...

Well... even I'll admit it's relaxing... however, as I think of how they got money for all of this when everywhere else in the kingdom appears to have a tight budget bothers me...

I understand that the taxes gained by the city is enormous... that tourism simply feeds all the boutiques and restaurants with more customers than they could wish for. The capital is an ideal place if you wish to sell luxury goods.

Of course now you'd wonder about the forges in the capital... but they aren't here.

They do indeed have sword and armor for sale... but it's all imported from Tepet's fief.