140 - Returning Home - Part 1

Lily's Point Of View Returns!

We are currently about halfway to Celeste Castle. This also means that we are only a couple hours away from the capital, and that we could resupply there. The reasons I decided against this belong to two categories. Firstly, if I arrive in the capital with an army it may be taken as a sign of hostility if not communicated very carefully. Even if Alstair and the nobles know I mean no harm, the commoners panicked over the declaration may take it differently and act on their own.

Secondly, entering the capital may get us hold up and end up preventing me from reaching home, which is supposedly the most likely to start a rebellion. While I doubt Eric has lost control over the commoners I'd rather confirm the situation there than get stuck in the capital suspected for treason by bringing in an army.

—-*—-

"Celeste-sama," Spence chirps up behind me in his usual worry-less tone.

Spence ended up keeling over the other day from an infection inside his stomach from the injury. After talking and asking Lumere for advice on a suiting prayer, the disease is now gone. He's chipper as always and is actively showing off his scars and touching them with I guess is disbelief a surprising amount of the time. Then again, if not for healing magic he would have died with no hope for survival. As it is, there may be more complications in store for him over the years, but for now he should be able to continue fighting.

"We've been considering this for a while, but we would be honored to learn some marching songs from your previous life."

When I turn to stare at him, I see a big and cheerful grin going from one ear to the other. Had it been my former life then this lack of face, and display of emotion would have been seen as bad, but in this world they're allowed and encouraged to show passion. Spence is really a bundle of this.

"What kind of song do you want to hear?"

We were just marching the days away, and I couldn't think of a proper excuse for refusing.

Spence's expression lights up even further before looking to everyone else.

"Something where an enemy is mentioned," slips from Harken, one of the guys that had gotten heavily injured as well. Harken was the son of a scribe, so he will probably be fine despite his injuries. His lower part of his shield arm broke from taking the impact of a war hammer. The energy went straight through it. Still, he isn't the only one. I think a good deal of them ended up with injuries in that area. Far from all had their arms broken like Harken, but if left unhealed it could've caused problems in the future.

"We've enough enemies all around. No need to think of more. A hero ballad would be better," Arven gets out grouchily from atop one of the wagons. He gets irritated when his leg prevents him from marching with everyone else.

I can't tell if his limp will be permanent, but for now it's too heavy for him to run. Still, without healing magic his leg would have had to be amputated above the knee, so in comparison a limp is a better trade off. If his leg had been amputated it could have turned out quite horribly for his fief, which gets raided by bandits from the neighboring fief seasonally. He's needed there. I'm quite happy that Lumere managed to fix that leg as well as he did. Still, for now Arven is made to take breaks on the wagon once in a while and endures Darius' slowly improving jokes and stories, as well as talking of his dream. Yes, he still insists on this.