Chapter 16.2

***A/N***

Intrigued by the black-gloved, gold-eyed drunk? Now's your chance. Get to know him in these two pre-HMS VALEDICTION short stories found in two different anthologies. 

"Moon Rise" can be found in the TAKE AWAY THE SAINTS anthology found here ->

"First Breath, Last Resort" can be found in the Tevun Krus Space Opera Issue of the Sci-Fi e-zine here -> 

Thank you again for all of your love! 

ONWARD!

-L

***

On my return, I find Birgar at the airlock terminal overseeing my return. The man is a frozen chasm as empty and profound as the national monuments we left on the carcass of our planet. If I had to guess, I'd say he's around his mid-thirties. He knows the Before Days. 

In my mind, I've already established the fact that we are two very different creatures.

I've never worked closely with Birgar. I don't even think I remember his first name. Richard? Roland? No idea. But I know that he's big enough to garner respect wherever he goes, even if I don't remember for what. Topside, I think Hayomo said. He was the generation of Slayers that came before me. We were never expected to know their deeds.

As he closes the lock and follows me to the main station with rows of jumpseats lining the walls, I notice he's all business. He's the "no nonsensical bullshit flippantry around his clenched asscheeks or else it's the rod or the cells for you, numbnuts" kind of guy. I've heard this speech before from men like him. I roll my eyes in anticipation.

Standing next to Coodi, who is always self-composed and business-like, he makes her seem like noodles.

I should have asked Dean for some pointers. I should have offered them for Hayomo. Did we waste our time sitting in that bar, touching each other while engulfed in total silence?

The warm feeling of his hand on my skin is still intact.

No. Absolutely not. I need this new memory of his arms around me and my son to last the next four years. I got exactly what I needed, thank the Lady.

I make a mental note to visit the chapel on my way to my cabin later tonight.

The countdown to launch commences and we all rush to take our seats. Birgar straps in next to me, careful to position himself at my side. The seat is technically Coodi's. Like the dutiful second-in-command she is, with glum eyes and a soft frown, she accepts the empty spot next to Flatts. Flatts smiles like a kid surprised with candy when she sees her commanding VIPER so shaken by the turn of events. She taps a knuckle against Coodi's chin in sisterly love. Coodi scowls at Birgar.

The thrust is easier to accept when I know what to expect. After a few landings and take-offs, this is becoming more natural. My body sways with the jostling. I relax into the hard vibrations, gulping back the feeling of being tilted as we are shot into the bleak galaxy. I can't wait to check my window tonight to see if ARC9 is behind us, ahead of us, or clutching us to its side. Maybe if we're so close now, we'll stay nearby for the rest of the trip. Maybe we'll stay partners and will travel side-by-side to NOHA where we'll land together. I wonder if the distance is close enough to keep our connections open. I wish we had some say in our charted course at all.