Chapter 26.2

Before we begin our return journey to the HMS Valediction, we secure the airlock and the dirty glucker inside it. I strip off the soiled atmosphere suit and throw it in there too. In nothing but my HMS Valediction-issued underwear and a mylar blanket Nuna wrapped around my shoulders like a cape, I fall into deep thought. Moon returns us to the HMS Valediction, but in my head, I'm already hijacking this very vessel, driving it to ARC10, then setting this stupid thing on fire and pushing it out to drift in space forever.

I don't want to murder them anymore, but inflicting the most pain or irritation on my way out would be suitable enough.

When we arrive and cross the hatchway into the luxurious space liner, not a single inhabitant of the HMS Valediction ogles me in my crinkly apparel. They wave, smile, welcome me back. Nuna shakes many hands and returns their warmth. Moon speeds us forward until we arrive at Teeno's penthouse.

"Ah! It's good to see everyone in one piece. I told you, Moon. Did I not tell you that she is something special?" He claps a perfectly manicured hand on my shoulder. "Sit! Sit my dear. Ledi!"

"Yes, sir?" 

I jolt, startled by the AI's smooth voice filling the cabin.

"This calls for a celebration. Mix us something special."

"Yes, sir."

Teeno ushers us to the four seats from my previous meeting in this room. Moon occupies the chair across from me, Nuna sits to my left and Teeno next to Moon.

A tray laden with drinks drops from the ceiling and rests on the table between us. Already prepared, honey-brown, and pungent, I acquiesce to this one luxury before burning this place to ashes. Grabbing one, I inhale the hint of sugar and wood. It's true heaven, and yes, I realize that I wish I could grab the recipe or figure out how to replace all drops of Junk Juice with this nectar that slides down so smooth, but I'd give it up to get my son and return to my broken ship. The luxury HMS Valediction offers is a glittery distraction. Nothing more.

"To our guest, Commander Janika Lorn," Teeno says, raising his glass. "Whose renown is now inter-galactic."

I choke on the strong drink. "Excuse me?"

"Oh yes! The races are transmitted across the galaxy. You have made me a wonderfully rich man, my dear. I mean richer. You have made me a richer man. Hasn't she Ledi?"

"Yes, sir."

"Transmitted?" I gulp. "Like, others saw it? They watched what happened? They saw me?"

"Of course! Ledi, show our star her big debut."

The lights in the cabin dim. Above our heads, a light flickers on, projecting a 3D hologram on the table before us. It's me astride Bor-Yann's D-Clog, kicking his gunman in the face. Sweat glistens on my face as I look up and squint ahead, my eyes sparkling from the heat and light of the lava tunnel. Directly behind me, Nuna and Moon enter the frame, Nuna twisting to glance at Moon who is staring at my back. The image dissolves into me and Nuna stretching our arms out as we cross the finish line—me and Nuna's kiss, the tears smeared around her cheeks sparkling off the cave lights.

The image blinks away as the room returns to its original brightness. I didn't think I could vomit anymore for the rest of my life, but my stomach turns again.

Teeno slow-claps and rises. "Brilliant. You were absolutely brilliant."

"But we lost," I say.

Teeno shrugs and returns to his seat. "Ah, no matter. We anticipated such results."

"What?" I squeeze the glass in my hand. "You knew that would happen? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"Janika," Nuna places her drink down to face me fully. "This was all my fault. It was my plan. All of it. I know of your skills, your passion, your ability. I also know you are not skilled in face-to-face conversational strategy."