Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Stella wiped the sweat off her forehead, her brown hair sticking to the sides of her face as she did so. She continued to unpack the boxes into her new apartment until there were only a few left. She blew out a low breath and plopped down on her couch in exhaustion, reaching for the towel that was sitting on the armrest and wiped some more sweat off of her face.

"This is a whole workout." She groaned to herself as she turned her tv on, needing some relaxation from all the work she had done.

Stella flipped through some channels only to notice that it was seven o'clock which meant that The Bachelor wouldn't be on for another hour. She got back up and headed into her tiny kitchen, opening up the fridge in hope of finding food only to be left with the disappointment of an empty fridge.

"That's right. I just moved. Obviously there's no food." She mumbled to herself as she walked back into the living room.

She reached for her phone just as it began to play The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars, signaling that her older brother was calling her.

"Hey! What's up, Jacks?" She asked as she grabbed her keys and wallet, heading to the front door.

"Nothing much. Just got out of practice and wanted to check in on you and see how you were doing. Do you need help unpacking?" He offered.

"I think I'm good. Thanks though. I only have a few things left, but I got most of it done. I'm actually going to grab some groceries. Would you and Jocelyn want to come over for dinner tomorrow? I'm dying for some human interaction." She said as she got into her car, hooking her phone up to Bluetooth before driving away.

"Doesn't your new roommate move in tomorrow?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. She might. Either way you and Joce should still come because I want to hang out with you guys. I haven't seen you since graduation. I know that I'm a freshie and it doesn't classify me as cool but I'm still your sister," She joked over the phone. "Sean will be there too so you can hang out with him while Joselyn and I talk about whether we like Colton or not." She tried to bribe him.

"Ugh, the new bachelor? You guys seriously need to get a life," Jackson joked with her. "Yeah, I guess that we'll come over. Only if you make mom's tacos." He tried to bargain.

"I can do that." She agreed, laughing a little at the fact that he still called them "mom's tacos." There was nothing actually special about them. Their mom would add in a little lime and homemade pickled onions and growing up, the two thought that they were so special and unlike any other tacos.

"Okay. Six work?" He said as he looked at Jocelyn's calendar.

"Yup! See you guys then. Love you!" Stella ended.

"Yeah, love you too, turd." He said as he hung up.

She then went on to Spotify and clicked shuffle, the song Imagine by Ariana Grande starting to play. She sang along to it and made a mental note to add the song to her potential covers list.

Stella was a musician and singer. She was currently going to college for nursing but was minoring in music. What she really wanted to do however was record an album and go on tour, but she stuck with playing it safe. Instead, she made YouTube videos and decided to go to college. Not only was she afraid of not making it as a singer, but she also didn't want to disappoint her late mother who was also a nurse. She felt like she owed it to her mother by following in her footsteps. She saw it as a way of both connecting and honoring her. Her mother wasn't the only one she was worrying about disappointing. Stella's father was a very traditional man when it came to education. To him, college was everything and the only way to be successful in life. One thing that he always told her was, "I don't care what you do in life as long as you have some sort of degree to back it up." Therefore, that's what she decided to do.