Chapter Two

Another rejection.  Seeing as this was the fifth, Jun wasn't all that surprised, but it was difficult to resume the fervour he had had when starting out attempting to find a job.

His enthusiastic bout of job hunting had started after a conversation with his sister and an employment notice within the newspaper.  The family house had been sold to property developers, although they bought the place for the land rather than the house.  The land was quite a find upon the outskirts of the city, where affordable housing was more difficult to find that gold dust.  Upon it at least five or six small properties could be situated, so long as planning permission was received and the developers were experienced, they knew what strict guidelines they needed to adhere to.

However, even though the money from the sale was good, after the debts were paid, it would barely cover the expenses of one person's deposit upon a future home, let alone two.  Hanako was the named inheritor of the estate, naturally the money was hers, but it did not mean she was had no feeling for her brother and small nephew's situation. 

She sat her brother down and tried to explain from her point of view, the guilt welling inside her nonetheless.  "After the house is sold, I plan to move far away from here," she advised him.  This was not only to escape the memories of this house, but also to remove herself from the eyes of those who still thought of her as a ikebana genius.  Since her mother had died, there were no end of offers of courtship for the young woman and hints that she should begin teaching her craft.  She wanted a fresh start, wanted to strip herself of a reputation not earned and live for herself.  "I wish to realise my dream and start teaching in a primary school.  But although I have the relevant degrees, I still need the money to fund a home.  What will you do?  I could take you with me, but it would be difficult for us to live."

Jun shyly showed her the employment advertisement in the newspaper that he had discovered.  It was for a florist shop not too far from their current residence.  "Are you sure?" Hanako asked him.

He nodded and said; "There are actually a few florists looking for staff members in the city."

"Likely because it is hard to keep good staff," Hanako mused.  Retail in any place only paid their staff so much, but it was expensive to live in the city.  Students and part time parents wanting additional funds would most likely be amongst those working there, maybe also retired elders.  But each and everyone would eventually move on for reasons of their own.  Hanako was more worried that her naive brother did not realise that what he would earn there would not keep him and his son living comfortably should he choose to remain in the city.

Keiichi wandered into the kitchen for some juice and shyly hugged his mother, before running to the fridge.  Jun stood up to help him reach his plastic cup and fill it.

Ever since Hanako had told Keiichi the truth of his birth, the mother and child pair had skirted carefully about it other like this.  Hanako watched them carefully.  Neither one had lay blame on Akiyama Midori, the child still saw his grandmother in a rose coloured light after all, just claimed that it had been for the best at the time.  Later, the small boy would naturally have questions and both sister and brother would be honest with him at that time.  But for now, while the pair developed a connection, it was best to let the boy believe that his grandmother was a good person and cared for him.

"I won't force you," Hanako stated, knowing that she could not protect her brother from the real world, aware that it would do him no good to not learn more of it than he already knew.  "But promise me that if it does not work out, that you will think about leaving the city and coming with me."

Jun thought that though he had never worked in retail, his knowledge of flowers and skills in ikebana and western flower arranging (something he had learnt in university), would be enough.  He was wrong.