Chapter Thirty

Jun did not speak about his deceased mother's schemes and nor did he lay claim to the work that had always been considered as his sister's. There were many reasons not to, but the main one in Jun's heart was that the tale of woe woven by a woman that then took her own life rather than face the pit she had dug for herself, was not entirely his to tell. He also felt that he owed Hanako. She did not have to give him back the rights to call his Kei son, she could have used him and continued to walk their mother's path. Only she had not, choosing to free all of them from that legacy.

And so he had simply left explanations that Hanako had never loved ikebana, which was true and had wished to pursue her own dreams of being a teacher to little children. Madam Fumiko had thought it was a pity, but agreed her talent would have only soured had she been forced to continue practicing something she did not like and it would have eventually been reflected in her works. Probably better for her to retire early.

"Still, it is a pity that she didn't choose to teach a new generation," the woman continued in ignorance. "She could have combined her passions with her family's legacy." She said nothing of Jun teaching and the Omega did not speak of this further. Besides there were other pressing issues to speak of.

For example, the new baby.

"Well, I hope you are going to man up and take responsibility this time," Yoshimune said, sternly to Kazuhiko as they sat about the dining table covered by numerous side dishes such as stir fried egg plant, cold tofu and miso soup. Kei was familiar with most of the dishes, so there was no fuss, but he was clearly favouring the sweet rolled omelettes. Kou also liked these and was busy tearing a small one apart in his chubby fingers, before stuffing his face.

"Of course," Kazuhiko took Jun's banded hand and kissed his fingers gently. "You know, I was rejected at first."

This surprised Madam Fumiko, who had not long ago placed blame for her son falling on this path upon the Omega's wiles. She looked at Jun, who had just rolled his eyes and shook his head, before turning his attention to his son, who had spilled soup from spoon to table.

"And so he should," Yoshimune agreed. "You've done this all backwards son! You should have chased and wooed him first before making claims and children."

"I agree," Jun said, softly, glancing at Kazuhiko with a teasing twinkle in his eye.

"Will the baby be an Omega?" Madam Fumiko asked curiously, unaware of the biological side of these things. After all, the secondary gender's gene inheritance was not as simple as that of male and female.

"Not necessarily," Kazuhiko replied, but chose to leave his mother in the dark about the chances being fifty percent in favour. "Kei happens to be an Alpha, but as I've said before, gender only truly effects their teen and adult years. At this age, he is simply a five year old boy, doing what five year old boys do."

Kei grinned and added to the conversation as if he understood what they were talking about. "I like watching Kung Fu Guardians! Santa gave me the Star Warrior this year and Abhi got the Sun and Earth warriors!"  Yoshimune managed to maintain a facade that did not reveal the perplexed face he inwardly wore.

"Is that so..."

Satisfied that Jun could indeed bear her son Alpha successors, Madam Fumiko was content enough to not interfere with Kazuhiko's choices.  It had been a while since she felt that her son was genuinely happy and so long as this young man continued to do so, it was fine.  And besides, she had heard that once an Alpha claimed an Omega, that omega would not stray and that this Omega had been born in their circles, no matter how secretly his identity had been kept by Akiyama Midori, that also provided some small satisfaction for the woman.