Chapter Twelve

Kung fu Guardians mega marathon had taken over the Saturday morning upon the children's channel it usually appeared on during the week and Keiichi and his friends had been looking forward to it. However his attention was not on the program at all at the moment, his brown eyes were following his mummy darting about the apartment.

"Should I have washed the nice tablecloth after all?" Mummy was muttering. "What am I thinking! What the place looks like shouldn't matter... but then I don't want him to think that we live in a pig sty..."

"Mummy?" Keiichi called out softly, squeezing his soft toy against his body as he felt mummy's increasing anxiety. "Should I clear away my toys?"

Jun blinked several times as he digested his son's question and his heart automatically softened and his worries disappaited like smoke upon the wind. Keiichi did not have many toys and although toy cars were currently decorating the bookshelf and there was a tower of Lego upon the table, it was not as if they were making much of a mess. And so he shook his head with a slight smile curling his lips. "No, sweetheart, it's fine," he reassured his son. "I'm just being silly, that's all."

"Why?" Keiichi asked, curiously.

"We have... a guest coming to visit," Jun struggled to say. He sighed, he still wasn't ready to reveal that the boy's father was coming to visit. After all, what if he raised Keiichi's hopes only for the man to cancel? It had absolutely nothing to do with his own heart... probably.

"Are you going to make me wear a Hakama?" Keiichi asked, quietly as his small nose scrunched up unhappily.

Jun sat down beside his son and asked; "What makes you ask that?"

"When Mama had guests, she would make me dress up," the boy buried his face into his teddy.  He hadn't liked Mama's guests, even though they had worn smiles, their eyes were so cold or they gave him strange looks.  And when Mama's back was turned, they would whisper mean things behind their hands.  Something about pity for bloodlines and not letting their children get too close.  He hadn't understood what they meant, but he knew he did not like being in their company.

"You won't have to wear a Hakama," Jun assured him.  "Whatever you wish to wear is fine."

"So I can wear my Kung Fu Guardian t-shirt?" Keiichi asked, excitedly, before rushing off to his room the moment Jun nodded, causing the man to chuckle. If only his own worries were so easily laid to rest.

His phone chimed, causing his laughter to die in his throat and his hand shook slightly as he picked the device up from the table and unlocked the device. As he thought, it was a message from Kazuhiko.

I am on my way to you now. I hope the time is convenient.

He politely text back that it was fine, deleted the last word to correct the mistaken spelling caused by nerves, before sending the affirmative. And the anxiety began to bubble back up to the surface so when Keiichi returned to the living room, he witnessed his mummy pacing about all over again.

"I wonder if I should put a pot of coffee on," Jun muttered to himself. "Wait, does he even like coffee? Ugh, but then what do I serve with the coffee?" He would be the first to admit that he knew nothing about the father of his child, other than that his body sent his own into the realm of heaven and his name, that he had only managed to get after painstakingly asking around university after... Jun paused, noticing that a small hand was pulling at his T-shirt. He glanced down to see his son's concerned face.

Picking up the boy, he gave him a firm kiss upon the cheek. "You look great!" Jun told him and the boy giggled.

"Mummy, what about cake?" Keiichi asked him, causing Jun to blink once more as he thought about what Keiichi was trying to say. A smile curved his lips as he recalled that he did indeed have chocolate cake left over from a couple of days prior when he had baked some on a whim.