Chapter Twenty Three

"What's the matter?"

Rishu had been Kazuhiko's best friend for many years.  Even when other friends had moved on, gotten married, found work abroad or across country, made promises to keep in touch which failed to last beyond a few months, Rishu had been by Kazuhiko's side and Kazuhiko had been beside Rishu's.  They were each other's excuses when they required alibis to escape family commitments or needed to lie about their whereabouts.  Rishu had been the best man at Kazuhiko's wedding, even if he hadn't secretly agreed with it, Rishu was the godfather of Kou and Kazuhiko was certain that if tables were turned, Kazuhiko would be those things for Rishu and his future children.

They were also each other's contact of choice if they needed to confide or vent.  When Rishu burst into his office, sat in the leather finished chair across the desk and lifted one leg to rest upon the other as he slouched down, Kazuhiko knew that he had come to vent.

"So I was busy considering whether I should accept Ashley or India's proposition this weekend..." Rishu began.

"Whose Ashley?" Kazuhiko interrupted. He recalled India as being Rishu's 'friend with benefits,' but had no clue who the other woman was.

"I work with Ashley, she's new to the admin department.  I told you about her last week, keep up Kaz," Rishu scowled. Rishu worked in sales, his charm and way with words easily placed him as one of the best in the company he worked for.

"Right, right," Kazuhiko said, dismissively.  He still didn't recall the woman.  He rose from his chair, shuffled the paper invoices he was dealing with to neaten the pile, before placing it to one side.  Moving to the cabinet where his spirits were locked away, he pulled out two crystal tumblers as Rishu continued;

"As I was saying," Rishu sighed, pulling the chair and therefore himself closer to the desk, "I was deciding who to spend Valentines Day with when my parents drop a blind date on me!"  He took the tumbler, which was filled with a clear liquid and took a fair gulp, before coughing slightly.  "Premium Russian Vodka?"

"Directly imported," Kazuhiko admitted, he preferred liquor that was of high quality and drank directly, rather than cheap alcohol that was best mixed into cocktails.  He took a sip of his own drink, already aware of its bite.  "So don't go."

"I was planning on not going," Rishu complained, swirling the liquid in the glass before taking a more cautious taste.  "However, I suffered an Indian mama's guilt trip.  'So you will abandon Priya like you abandoned us?'  'I keep asking your father, where did we go wrong?'  'Why can't you be like your cousin, Zalim?  He married a good girl and has a son of his own and is still obedient and caring for your Aunty and Uncle at their house.  But no, you had to move out!'  'All I wanted to was make sure you married well, too many girls these days can't cook.  How will I live with myself if you lost weight because you chose badly?'"

Kazuhiko chuckled as Rishu mimicked his mother.  "So you agreed to quieten her for a bit," he smiled, clearly seeing through Rishu's words. Rishu's relationship with his parents could be considered strained, he did not visit them, they did not visit him. This was due to Rishu fearing he would be locked up the moment he entered and them not wishing to acknowledge that he had flown from their nest like a unfilial son. However, there were still times when they met around Rekha's home and this was often arranged by the loving sister and daughter herself.

"It's why I move out in the first place," he moaned.  "I always agreed with whatever she wanted as if I dared say no I would be lectured until I was nothing more than a shivering infant clothed in guilt." In fact, he had moved out the moment Rekha's engagement was finalised, knowing that if he stuck around, the ink would be dry upon his own marriage certificate before he could take his next breath.