Chapter Sixteen

The following few days were filled with festive cheer.  The concert that the Fumiko school of traditional music threw was quite successful, not only bringing praise from those within their community but also several interested parties from outside of it as well.  This did not result in an immediate increase of applications, the traditional instruments were simply not as popular in this country like the violin or guitar, but Kazuhiko exchanged business cards with a couple individuals who could be considered influential in their own right.

Jun took Kei into the centre of the city, where a huge tree coated in twinkling lights and gold and red baubles stood proudly.  A 'Santa Claus' and his 'Elves' were walking amongst the crowds wishing gatherers a Merry Christmas.  Kei giggled and shook his head shyly when the man in his padded red suit asked him if he had seen his reindeer.

Food stalls had been set up here and there, the heady mix of oils and smoke from cooking meats drifted carelessly into the air, filling it with aromas to tempt patrons to eat.  Jun and Kei were no exceptions, munching away on turkey burgers as they listened to carol singers upon a small stage for a while, who were later replaced by a string quartet and later again by a young choir.  They took a train home a little later and Kei was drifting asleep in Jun's aching arms before they had reached the front door of their apartment.

*****

Two days before Christmas, Kazuhiko found himself waiting at the airport, surrounded by others who were collecting their relatives.  He'd been waiting over two hours due to an unexpected delay and desperately wished to return to his home already.  He'd not spent too much time with little Kou and none at all recently with Keiichi, he'd hoped to rectify that today, but unfortunately his father's message had finally come.  He was returning home.

It was his old man who Kazuhiko resembled most, only gaining the lilt and darkness of his eyes from his mother.  His blond hair and robust frame was definitely inherited from his father and that man, even as he came before him, still retained a wealth of hair that was more blond than silver.  His skin was bronze from the other country's fair weather, but otherwise only a few wrinkles lined his eyes and mouth, laughter lines they might be considered.

He embraced Kazuhiko warmly, with much strength.  The two men looked as close as brothers rather than father and son as they made their way out of the airport and to the temporary car park where their driver was waiting for them.

"How's your mother," Yoshimune asked as they settled in the back of the car.  It was one thing to communicate by phone, email and text, another to see a person face to face.  That which would not be revealed in words was less easy to hide from the eyes.  He knew his wife well enough that she would stubbornly keep matters to herself if she felt she would be worrying him unnecessarily.

However, Kazuhiko simply shrugged.  "Same as always.  Caring too much about my life, while still maintaining her own.  She gave a dazzling performance at last night's concert and basked happily in the spotlight while pretending to be far removed from it all."

"Sounds like my beloved," the man's eyes crinkled warmly.  "And how is my grandson and daughter-in-law?"

Kazuhiko's face turned sour.  "Father, you know she filed for divorce.  We are no longer married."

"Tch, I thought that was just a phase to get your attention," he grumbled, ignoring the incredulous look upon his son's face at his words.  He knew that Kazuhiko and Esme had not really warmed up to each other like he had hoped they would.  But he also knew Esme was not the elegant, refined princess she allowed others to view.  So when he had heard of her tantrum regarding Kou's sex, he had assumed she was finally revealing her true self and simply upset that Kou had Kazuhiko's attention and not her.  Seems he was only half right.  "What's all the fuss about his gender anyway," he added with a mutter.