Crush

"I'm going to be passing back your exams from last Friday," the teacher tells us as she picks up a large stack of papers. A couple of students groan aloud, probably already knowing they got a bad grade.

I just slouch back in my chair. I'm one of those kids today.

"Groan all you want. It won't make your grades better," the teacher says as she walks around handing papers out. "What will is dedication and consistent studying."

My best friend, Yui, the captain of our volleyball team, turns around in her chair in front of me and flashes me her score with a thumbs up. The paper reads "90%" in the teacher's red pen.

I smile at her. "Congrats," I tell her.

"What did you get?" Yui asks me as the teacher hands me my paper with a "51%" at the top.

"You're usually not like this, Azumane-san," the teacher tells me.

"I know and I'm sorry," I reply with knots twisting in my stomach. "It won't happen again."

As she walks away Yui nudges me. "You know that there was a good reason for this bad grade," she tells me, her eyes sad.

"No there isn't," I say, looking at my desk.

"Just tell her the truth. That your dog had to be-" she starts

"-Please, don't say it," I cut her off. "I don't wanna think about that right now."

"Okay, I understand," she says, putting her hand on top of mine in a supportive way. "Also, it's just one exam grade." She gives me a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, but it will still drag my grade down a lot," I shrug. "I can't have that happening especially now that I'm going to be applying to colleges soon. Also this is my best class. I'm pulling C's right now in Anatomy and Chemistry."

"You'll pull them back up in no time," she says.

I fake a smile at her and she grins back.

***

Class ends and Yui and I walk out heading for the school entrance. The boys reserved the court after school today so we are heading home.

As we head down the stairs I stiffen slightly. At the bottom of the stairs is my crush of over two years, Daichi Sawamura.

"Sawamura-san!" Yui calls out to him. He turns toward us and I feel myself blush lightly and avoid his gaze.

"Oh hi, Michimaya-san, Asuga-chan," Daichi says with a smile.

"You heading to practice?" I ask him as we reach the bottom of the stairs and stop in front of him.

"Yeah, I gotta get there quick or I'm afraid Kageyama and Hinata will start fighting again," he says with light laugh.

"What a dad," Yui exclaims with a laugh.

"Sounds like you got your hands full this year with the new kids," I add.

"Yeah, they are quite the cast of characters, but they have some valuable skills," he tells us. "I don't want to jinx it, but I have a feeling we have a chance against the other teams this year."

"Wow, that's bold," Yui says.

Daichi laughs while his cheeks tint to a pinkish color. "Yeah, guess it is, but I'm hoping for a good year. I gotta run though."

"Yeah, get to practice," Yui tells him. "Do your best," she adds as he walks away. He turns to give her a smile and thumbs up.

As he rounds the corner Yui let's out a little squeal. "Isn't he just so sweet and handsome? And by god those muscles. I'd let him punch me in the face anyday."

"Huh?" I choked out, looking at her as my stomach clenches.

"Sawamura-san," she gushes. "He is so kind and confident and determined. Not to mention he's not bad on the eyes. Don't you agree?"

"I-I guess I n-never thought about it before," I stutter, scratching the back of my neck and tugging on one of my french braids, nervously. Yui doesn't notice as she is too busy daydreaming happily. "D-do you like him?" I ask her, fearing the answer.

Yui blushes, a bit flustered. "Yeah..." she mumbles.

My heart sinks at this new information, but I can't let her know that. She's my best friend. I need to be supportive no matter what. I give her a smile. "You should go for it," I tell her.

"Really?" Yui gasps as we exit the gates.

"Yeah, I mean, why not?" I declare. "Its our last year."

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, I think to myself.

No matter how much I love Yui, I don't know how I'd feel seeing her with Daichi. I know I'm jealous, but I can't help it.

Well, there's a chance Daichi might not even like Yui like that.

***

"Hey, Asuga!" I hear my brother call to me from down the hallway the next Monday.

Two girls shy away from my hulking brother as he makes his way to me. The girls give us an odd glance and then hurry off. Asahi and I are used to this by now. His looks might make him seem intimidating, but what people don't know is my twin brother is the physical embodiment of the cowardly lion.

"Hi, Asahi," I reply. "What's up?"

"Just wanted to know if you heard that mom got off of work early today. She'll be home when you get home from school," he tells me.

"Oh, I didn't know that, thanks," I reply.

"Oh, and one more thing. I almost forgot," he says, offhandedly. "It's about Daichi."

I freeze, waiting for him to continue. Please don't say he knows that I have a crush on his friend.

"He's been mentioning your friend Yui a lot," Asahi continues. "I think he might have a slight crush, it's kinda funny, but he might want to know how she feels about him."

My heart sinks into a dark puddle of despair as I try to keep myself composed under the watchful eyes of my twin.

Calm down, Asuga. Be a good friend. Don't ruin this for Yui.

"I'm not at liberty to disclose such information," I tell my brother. "As her best friend my lips are sealed. If Diachi-kun wants to know, he should ask her himself."

Asahi raises his eyebrows at me. I just give him a blank stare in return, because that's all I can do to hold back my emotions.

"Alright then," Asahi concludes. "I'll relay that information. Have a safe walk home."

"Practice hard," I tell him in return.

My walk home is quiet, my face blank and mind reeling.

I should call Yui. She'd be so happy to hear what Asahi just told me. I just don't know how I will be able to keep myself together when I get home, especially with my mom home.

I see a playground across the street and decide to stop there. There's no one there besides a boy with what looks like his younger brother by the monkey bars. I sit myself on a swing which is a good distance away from the pair and give Yui a call.

***

Hi guys!

Woah this is my first fanfic about an anime character. So yeah this is different, but I just love so many of the characters from Haikyuu that I had to and I also love a certain egotistical setter that rhymes with Shittykawa. He's my second favorite behind my precious boy Suga (I guess I have a thing for the setters cause Akaashi is my third favorite lol)

But anyway, I had an idea and it turned into this story. I hope y'all like it and give it a like!

Question of the day:
Who's your favorite Haikyuu character?

Until next time,

Catherine