Emotions

I flinch at the name, making Asahi's eyes narrow.

"I swear, if he did something to you-" he starts.

My eyes widen. "No no no," I cut him off, waving my arms. "Tooru - he would never do anything to hurt me."

"Okay," Asahi mutters, not quite convinced. "Honestly though, I probably wouldn't have the guts to do anything to him anyway. How do you even know him? And how do I not know about this?"

"Its a long story," I tell him.

"I got time," he shrugs as he sits on my bed and leans against the headboard, waiting for me to start explaining myself.

I grimace and lay back, staring at the ceiling as I tell Asahi everything. From the day I met Oikawa to today, and as usual, besides a few personal details like Oikawa's personal problems and my crush on my brother's friend.

"What made you reject him?" Asahi asks when I tell him about Oikawa's proposition from today. "Yeah, the guy is a conniving asshole to me, but to you, from what you've told me, he's actually a pretty decent guy. What's the catch?"

"I-" My face flushes and I try to think of a way to explain it Asahi. "I like someone else."

Asahi's eyebrows shoot up. "And who may that be?" he asks.

"None of your damn business," I retort.

"So it's someone I know then," he states with a grin, knowing that he's getting to me.

"That's exactly why it's none of your business," I glare. "Why don't you go and bother someone else? Oh right, you're too much of a wimp to talk to any other girls besides me and Kiyoko-san."

"Hey now, that's just mean," he says with an uncomfortable chuckle as he scratches the back of his neck.

"Yeah yeah, you big baby," I reply with a laugh.

"So he chickened out after you told him and he ran away?" Asahi asks, changing the subject back to my problem. "That's kind of rude."

"Yeah," I mutter. "Although it might have been awkward at first, I still wanted to be friends with him. I guess he doesn't feel the same."

"That's too bad," he sighs. "I was wondering why you seemed happier than usual recently. I guess he was the reason."

"I guess," I say, twirling my pencil and taking a look at one of my math questions.

"Well all you can do is just keep pushing forward," he tells me. "If he doesn't want to be around you anymore since you rejected him, than it's not worth you being upset about it."

"Yeah that's easy to say, but he was just-" I sigh and rub my eyes. "He became important to me. He was there for me, and I'm gonna really miss him."

"You have other people who are there for you," he reminds me, softly. "You have Mom and I. Yui has been a constant in your life for years as well and so have some of the other girls on your team. Remember you're not alone."

"I know," I say. "Thank you."

He smiles at me, reaches over, and ruffles my hair.

"Hey!" I complain. "Stop that. Your so annoying."

"You still love me," he chuckles.

"Unfortunately," I huff. "Now get out of here. I gotta do my homework. I still gotta keep up with everything even though I've already sent all my applications in."

"Speaking of which, I found this in the mailbox when I got home today," he grins, holding up a while envelop.

I gasped. "What the hell? Why didn't you give it to me as soon as you got in?" I snatch it out of his hands and look at it. It's from the American university. "Oh my god! I'm afraid to open it."