Gate

A week has passed since Oikawa's and my heart to heart in the hallway of the gymnasium. He still hasn't completely gone back to his normal happy-go-lucky self, but he isn't overworking himself at practice like he was earlier. The new main issue is the nerves that have started to show due to the tournament starting later this week. He doesn't outwardly express his insecurities, but when he called me during the weekend after a practice, I could hear it in his voice.

Yui and I chat about our plans to skip school and see the tournament later in the week as we change our shoes to leave for the day.

"When they make it to the semifinals," I tell her. "That's when I'll skip school to go see it. I can't miss too much or I'll fall behind."

"Yeah, I get it," she replies. "I was thinking the same thing. Also I like that you said 'when' instead of 'if.'"

"Well I really believe in them," I say. "I feel like they have a good chance. I've seen how hard Asahi has been working and he says the rest of the guys have been the same way. When I visited them at practice, it was crazy how much they've progressed."

"I'll take the complement." I hear a voice behind me and turn around to see my brother, Suga, and Daichi walking towards us. "We're really glad to hear that you two believe in us," Daichi says. "Thanks Asuga-chan. It means a lot."

My face flushes at the compliment. "Well you guys have gotten really good," I mumble, a little flustered. "You guys should be proud of yourselves."

Suga gives me a big smile, clearly overjoyed that they have our support, and Asahi steps over to me and ruffles my hair since it's not in french braids for once today.

"Hey, watch it," I complain. "I'll cut your hair while you sleep, I swear."

"If you do, I'll do the same to you," my brother teases. I laugh and reach up to push his face to annoy him. Our friends laugh at our sibling squabble as Asahi and I continue to tease and annoy each other.

As our battle ensues, I overhear a conversation between a group of girls. "Aoba Johsai uniform," is all I can hear.

"At the gate."

"Kid with him."

"Aw, he's so hot. Do you think he's waiting for a girl?" One of them speaks louder than the others.

"I hope not," another says. "Didn't Nami say he's a famous volleyball player in the area?"

This draws the attention of everyone in the group. "What are they talking about?" Suga asks, bewildered.

Yui gives me a glance, clearly knowing who the girls are talking about. An uncomfortable knot forms in my stomach. Crap. Please tell me Oikawa isn't waiting at the gate for me.

I quickly put on my other shoe, and sling my bag over my shoulder.  "Well, gotta get home," I say. I don't want the boys to find out cause I know I'll get a lot of judging looks from them. I don't want that. What would Daichi think of me then?

I make my way outside with Yui to the gate to see a flock of my fellow female classmates around a certain brunette heartthrob.

"Azumane-san!" I hear a yell as I see Takeru wave to me. This gets the attention of a couple of the girls and said brunette whose smile grows wider, reaching his eyes.

"Yahoo, Asu-chan!" Oikawa says, cheerily as he makes his way over to me.

"Tooru-kun, what are you doing here?" I ask him, as I see the three third-year volleyball players watch my interaction with their rival. Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag.

"Did you hear what Azumane-san called him?" one of the girls say to another.

"Is she his girlfriend?"

"Takeru and I wanted to see you sooner so we thought we'd meet you here," he tells me, then notices Yui close behind me. "Oh, are you Yui-chan? Asu-chan talks very highly of you a lot."

Yui let's out a laugh. "She'd better," she says. "Asuga-chan also talks a lot about you. Sometimes you're all she can talk about."

I blush bright red and I see Oikawa's cheeks are dusted pink with a slight blush as well. "That's totally not true and you know it!" I exclaim.

"Aw, Asu-chan, that's so cute," Oikawa chuckles, his cool and cheery composure recovered.

"Okay, come on, Trashykawa," I tell him. "I think you've caused enough chaos at my school."

I grab his arm and start to drag him away, Yui and Takeru following behind, amused at my annoyance with the cocky volleyball player. I look back to see confusion on the faces of my brother, Suga, and Daichi as I disappear around the corner.

I'm so going to get a talking to later.

***

"Azumane-san! Look at me!" Takeru hangs upside down from the monkey bars by his legs.

"Wow, I wish I could do that!" I tell him with a laugh as Oikawa and I sit side by side on the swings just like the day we met. I pump my legs back and fourth a bit, making myself swing up and down as the warm breeze flutters through my hair and ruffles my skirt. I watch as Takeru jumps down and runs around with a boy who looks a little younger than him.

Oikawa has been silent for a lot of the time which is understandable. His eyes stare at the mulch in front of him as he lightly swings in the breeze. His red tie is loosed a bit around his neck, and the top button is undone on his shirt. He has a cream colored sweater vest, like mine, over the ensemble, and his white jacket is discarded on top of his bag. Oikawa scuffs his brown shoes on the dirt in front of him as the wind lightly ruffles his brown hair.

"Tooru-kun, try not to be so nervous about the tournament. I know you'll do great," I say to him.

"I can't help but be nervous," he admits. "It's my last chance."

"I know," I tell him. "Then whenever you feel nervous, just remember that I'm rooting for you." I smile at him and I see the ends of his lips tug upward making me smile even wider.

"Except if I verse Karasuno?" he asks me, a playful grin sneaking it's way onto his face.

"Yup, that's where I draw the line, buddy," I say with a laugh. "I gotta support my brother, and even Yui-chan would get annoyed even though she's been wanting us to get together since day one."

My eyes widen as I realize what I just said. Oh god, why did I just say that. That's so embarrassing. Please tell me he didn't hear that last part.

Unfortunately, it seems like Oikawa has as he snaps his head up in surprise. "Huh?" His voice is a little higher than usual as he glances at me.

"Nevermind," I mutter. "Just forget I said that. Yui-chan is a little weird. Sorry."

"Its fine," he sighs as he stands up from the swing, looking up at the sky and then turns to face me. "But what would you say to the idea of us, you know, getting together?"

***

Boom. He said it! Now let's get this plot going!!!

I love my boys of the pretty setter squad. I might write an Akaashi fic after this. I gotta think of a good plot though. That's the real struggle.

Question of the day:
How long ago did you join Wattpad?

According to Wattpad I joined the summer before I started high school all the way back in 2014 so I've been on here for almost 5 years and damn have my fandoms changed. Back then I was into a lot of youtubers. Then there was my HUGE 5SOS faze (I still love them) and other bands like All Time Low and Panic! Then the anime started lol. I've bounced around a lot after that as well with Teen Wolf and Harry Potter as well.

It's been fun being a fangirl.

Until next time,

Catherine