Wrong

"Huh?" is all I can squeak out as my eyes grow wide.

"Yeah, I think I've liked you for a while now, and I thought I had to finally tell you and just get it out there in the open," he tells me, shyly looking away from me.

"B-but Asahi said you liked Yui-chan," I sputter out, utterly confused and flustered.

"Oh that," he says with a nervous chuckle. "Asahi overheard me talking about you with Suga. He asked me what girl I was talking about and since you're his sister, I couldn't exactly tell him the truth. I lied and told him I was talking about Michimiya-san."

"Oh," I mumble.

"Yeah, I guess word spread pretty quickly since the next day she confessed to me and I had to tell her that I liked you," he says, staring out the window. "She actually got over it pretty quickly and wanted to help me out. Although later she informed me that you might like another guy, but wouldn't tell me who. I see now after yesterday that it's Tooru Oikawa."

"What? No!" I tell him, my voice higher than usual. "I rejected Tooru-kun yesterday because I like you." My words come out in a rush, but I guess Daichi could tell what I was saying.

He looks at me, his expression a mixture of surprise and delight. "Wait, really?" He asks.

"Uh, yeah," I mumble, looking anywhere but his eyes as I tug on one of my french braids. Damn everything is out in the open now.

"So then, would you like to go out with me sometime this weekend after tournament?" Daichi asks me.

I look up at him with wide eyes. Is this really happening? He really does like me? He wants to date me? Me?

He wears a small smile on his face as he looks at me expectantly.

Crap, I still have to answer him. Control yourself, Asuga. You've been dreaming of this moment for all of high school. Don't screw this up.

"If you mean after you win the tournament then yes," I tell him, smiling softly. I feel my face burning as I do so. Good, my response was confident. Just calm down and keep smiling.

"Well that gives me a lot more encouragement to win," he grins. "I see you then, Asuga-chan."

"Yeah, see you," I reply. "And good luck!"

He gives me another bright smile and starts to his classroom, a bounce in his step as I give him a wave. Once he's out of sight I slump against the window.

That went much better than expected. I wasn't a stuttering mess. This is amazing! This is the best day of my life!

I look out the window and see the bright blue sky with the mountains in the distance.

I have to tell Yui! Even though she liked Daichi as well, when she heard that he liked me she tried to help us get together. I don't deserve her as a friend, but I am so grateful. I feel like I want to tell everyone. My mom, Asahi, Mei, the rest of the girls, To-

My smile vanishes and the pit in my stomach is back. Oh, right. I guess I won't be telling everything to Tooru anymore.

I can't let that get me down. This is a happy day. Daichi actually likes me and asked me out on a date today! I've wanted this for so long.

But why do I have a feeling that something is wrong?

***

The rest of the day and the day after that were surprisingly normal. I told Yui and Mei everything and we were kinda screaming on the roof for a little bit. Apparently, I was actually pretty good at keeping my crush on Daichi a secret. They were both really surprised to hear how excited I was when I told them.

"But I thought you liked Oik-" Mei starts.

"I'm so happy to hear that you're happy!" Yui exclaims, giving Mei a warning look. I ignore it, knowing what Mei was confused about and why Yui stopped her. I told her about what happened between Oikawa and I the day after it happened.

"Thanks, guys," I mumble, the uneasy feeling pushing on my chest again.

I got three more letters from colleges I applied to. I found out I got rejected from my number one and number three school while being accepted into one of my safety schools. That really hit me hard. I only have one more chance, but since I didn't even get into the third best, I knew I didn't really have a chance to get into the second. There were lots of tears and phone calls to Yui of me just crying while she encouraged me on the other end. I really owe her a lot for being there for me.

I didn't get to see Daichi at all since he was out of school for the tournament but a few of us girls are skipping school today. I'm not too worried about skipping anymore since my applications are already in and I'm getting letters back already. The thing I'm nervous about is the fact that Karasuno is versing Aoba Johsai again, and that means that a certain setter will be there.

I press my cheek on the cool glass of the public bus window and sigh.

Why am I getting so worked up over this? He made it clear he doesn't want anything to do with me. Just get over it.

"Hey," Yui nudges me. "What's wrong?  We get to miss school to watch volleyball."

"I just didn't sleep well last night," I tell her which isn't exactly a lie. I did toss and turn a lot last night, but I'm not really tired. Yui gives me a glance. She probably knows why I'm acting this way and decides to not press me further.

I pick at the patterned tights I'm wearing underneath my short jean shorts and scuff my black combat boots on the floor. As we leave the bus Yui, Mei, and I make our way to the gymnasium where the tournament is taking place. I shiver at the cool breeze blowing through my thin t-shirt and zip up my volleyball jacket.

There aren't too many people here since only two games are happening today. There's some parents and other kids our age milling around. I see two boys with white and teal Aoba Johsai jackets and I bite the inside of my cheek. I do a quick glance around to see no sign of Oikawa. I don't know if I'm relieved or upset by that fact.

"Come on, Asuga-chan," Mei says, tugging on my arm. "We gotta get good seats behind the banner."

"You two go on ahead. I need to use the bathroom," I tell her as my stomach twists uncomfortably.

"Okay," she responds. "Don't get lost!"

They head for the stairs chatting as I'm left alone in the middle of the entrance.

***

I know I have the timeline wrong a bit, but this is just so the story can go how I kinda want it to.

Also I've become reobsessed with Bungou Stray Dogs because season 3 is great and the OP is AWESOME and I love that Chuuya's va sings it cause I love Chuuya.

Question of the day:
Do you like Bungou Stray Dogs? And if you do who's your favorite character?

Mines Dazai. He kinda reminds me of Oikawa for a lot of reasons and hes just so pretty like I CAN'T.

End rant lol

Until next time,

Catherine