GHOST OF YOU

20| My Trial

"You know my name?" The woman asked.

My heart sunk. She'd been alive, this entire time. I studied the dirt on her face and in my mind, I couldn't see how this was any good for me. If Vanessa was alive, Loki would surely go back to her.

"Yeah I do" I replied deflated.

"Does Loki speak about me?" She asked, leaning on the bars that seperated us.

"He speaks about the time he knew you," I replied casually.

She seemed to smile to herself and I looked away. "What happened to you?" I asked, looking at the scratch marks on my wall.

"I loved Loki and I wouldn't move on without him," she replied, looking wistful.

"I just wish he had looked for me," she added.

I cleared my throat. "He's bound to the house he died in, besides I think he assumed you moved on when you slept with Keith," I replied.

Her eyes widened. "You know my history?" She asked a little shocked.

"You could say we're related, my mother was a Briggs" I replied.

"Oh!" She exclaimed.

The door opened and a rough looking man walked in. "Alright you, time for your trial" the man said looking at me.

My eyes widened. "My trial?" I asked confused.

"The reason you're here, did you think the Ghost council would just exterminate you without giving you the chance to defend yourself?" The guard asked.

"Actually yes" I replied as he unlocked my cell and opened the bars.

"C'mon princess, I don't have all day" he said, gesturing me to turn around.

I glanced at Vanessa. Loki was going to be thrilled to see her again, and I was going to die here. He pulled my arms roughly so he could tie my wrists together, behind my back.

Grabbing the rope, the man pulled me forward. "Look alive, darling" he said as the cell door closed behind us with a snap.

The man pushed me forward and I stumbled. "Honestly, hurry up, or they'll make a decision for you" he said, pushing me forward.

I picked up my pace as the man led me to wide brown doors. I could hear chatter inside and when the man guiding me pushed open the doors, the whole room shushed.

This was a room full of dead people. My eyes drifted across the crowd before landing on the three figures that sat at the front. "Loki!" I exclaimed, wanting to dart forward and hug him.

He didn't say anything, nor look at me but the ghosts sitting next to him, waved. Luke looked completely bored as he ruffled through a book in his hand.

"Court is in session!" A booming voice rang out.

Finally, Loki looked at me. His eyes searched my face before glancing down at my ragged clothes and bruised hands. A flash of anger washed over him but it was gone quicker than a blink of an eye.

The man undid my rope and sat me on a wooden chair in the middle of the courtroom. Four men and four women sat in front of me, some old and some young. They appeared fascinated with me, and studied me intensely.

"Are you Reena Styron?" One of the men asked.

"I am" I replied truthfully.

"And do you know on what grounds you are here?" a pale white woman asked this time.

"Not entirely," I replied.

"Reena Styron, you are imprisoned for the crimes committed by you and fellow accused lover, Loki Peakes" The first man said, making me look down at my hands.

"Loki Peakes, rise" the white woman ordered.

I heard a scrape of the leg chairs across the ground and I knew that Loki had stood. "How do you plead?" The Jury asked together.

"Not guilty" he said firmly.

I swallowed as I listened. "You have five minutes to convince us of your own verdict" the first woman said.

Loki appeared beside me and walked past to reach the front of me, but kept his back to me. "My fellow councilmen, I have come to plead my case and well our case about the relationship, Reena and I share" Loki started.

"It began when she moved in, I had no idea she could see me and is the only person I had ever met that had such a gift, we made an uneasy alliance, Reena didn't have friends in town and well I've been dead for a few years," he said, pacing around me.

I watched the Jury. "Our alliance turned into a friendship, Reena wanted to know about my past and learn what she could, she was always eager to help me get to the other side, soon after our first contact, we both realised that she could materialize me and make me seen" Loki said, glancing at me briefly.

I saw a bit of pain reflected in his eyes. "Admittedly, I grew attached to the idea of finally being able to touch people and be as alive as I could be, but soon that attachment became something else" Loki said firmly before walking towards me.

"I began to fall in love with her," he said simply.

I looked at him, saw the memory in his eyes.

"I fought it as much as I could but we had already began the sweet descent into each other," Loki said before freezing.

He opened his mouth but nothing came out. "Loki was kind to me, patience and understanding, before we had even built a friendship, he warned me of this, of the danger of becoming involved with each other but we both took that risk anyway," I finally spoke up, as their eyes turned to me.

"If being in love is a crime than I am one hundred percent guilty, because I love Loki amd if you want to trial me by the sword than so be it," I snapped, standing up.

Loki turned to look at me, shock covering his face.

I turned my head to look at him. "Vanessa is alive Loki, she's been imprisoned here this whole time" I said before the Jury motioned for the gaurd to take me away.

"What!" Loki exclaimed, darting forward to grab my arm.

The guard pushed him back. "Reena! What did you say!" He yelled.

"Vanessa is alive and captive!" I yelled back before the gaurd pushedme through the wooden door again and the hallway was silent.

"You know you probably just doomed your own survival, right?" The gaurd asked.

I nodded. "As long as one of us is happy," I replied.

A/N

Finally an update. I'm so sorry guys, I have been having writers block with this storyline plus I've been busy with my newer books but I shall update more often.. hopefully.

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Lots of love, tavana xoxoxo