Correspondence

Annunor,

Words cannot convey how happy I am to hear of your survival. I was convinced that if you ever did escape the claws of Sauron, you would go to the Grey Havens and sail to be with dear naneth. Admittedly, I am quite excited to hear that you didn't, I am no longer alone in my understanding and suffering of Him. I cannot tell you how surprised but happy I was to hear of your success with finding a love who not only married you, but bore you three children! You have already accomplished much more than me, younger brother.

Aye, what you have heard is correct, I am currently residing within the confines of the halls of the King, hidden by the great trees of the Greenwood. While I will neither confirm nor deny any rumors surrounding myself and the King, I will say that we do spend a decent amount of time in each other's company, he is a great conversationalist. However, I find myself desiring to travel, to see more of the world that we call home. Apart from now, the only time I ever saw other parts of Middle-Earth was when we were wreaking havoc upon them, the grounds charred with fire. I desire to see it in its natural state, perhaps visit some of my kin and our dear aunt Galadriel. Have you seen her as of late, or did you visit Lothlorien while you were making your way to Lindon? My writings to her have fallen through and we have not corresponded for a long time, I would appreciate to hear of any news.

I do hope to travel to Mithlond soon and meet your darling wife and children, I would be honored. We have a lot of catching up to do, brother.

With all my love,

Laineth.

"Glorfindel!" Laineth cried, hurrying down the corridor as fast as her dress would allow her, "Why such the hurry?"

Smiling as he came to a halt, he spun to face her, "Thranduil does not appreciate my presence, your highness. It would be his wish if I left as soon as possible."

Making her way over to the window, Laineth pulled back the wispy curtain to observe the sun, "It has only just gone dawn, my lord. Surely you will stay with us for breakfast, I think Thranduil will allow you that luxury at least. He would not hear the end of it from me otherwise."

Chuckling, he held his arm out for Laineth to take, "If I knew where exactly breakfast was being eaten, I wouldn't hesitate."

Gladly looping her arm through his, she gleamed up at him, "Well I shall just have to escort you then. I have a letter for you to deliver as well, if you wouldn't mind."

He nodded, "Of course, I am planning on visiting Cirdan and heading back to Mithlond soon. Imladris has become all too familiar for me, I desire to see the ocean once again."

Ah, the ocean. How it gently thrust itself up upon the shores of sand. The small boats sailing out for the daily catch of fish, the occasional larger ship ferrying their kin out to Valinor. Laineth had only seen it in her childhood when she and her mother had rarely given permission from her father to travel to Lindon. Now she sorely missed Lindon and Mithlond, she missed her humorous uncle and her forever patient mother, the two of them always got along so well, being the only two children of Orodreth. Being separated from each other took a toll on the pair, Laineth thought, her naneth was only at her peak happiness when she was in Lindon. It really got to her in her last few days.

"I wish I could accompany you, but I fear Thranduil will not tolerate such a hurried dash off, especially with you." She replied sourly as they approached the dining room.

Glorfindel knew all too well about the harsh relations between Thranduil's people and the Noldor, it's why he and Annunor were so surprised to hear that him and Laineth were courting. He was even more surprised to see that she still kept up her disguise, even in front of him.

"It is understandable from him, I wouldn't pay too much attention to his sour feelings. I believe that his father's death took a big toll on him and that that wound is still very much open and unhealed. You will travel to Lindon in your own time, your highness, I wouldn't rush it if I were you, there are things to worry about here first and foremost." He looked up at the larger than life oak doors, extravagance ran in the family it seemed.

"Yes, the great illness concerns me. If agents and citizens of elvendom have fallen ill and died from such a disease, we are all in great danger. We can only hope that the great wood will shield us from it and that we will be safe. Perhaps it will dissipate before it spreads to further off lands like Imladris and Mithlond."

The guards opened the doors, someone against the wall announcing their arrival. Glorfindel looked down at their locked arms and unwound them before Thranduil looked up and threw himself into a fit, "We can only pray, Laineth."

Without another word being said, she gave her parchment to Glorfindel and with a silent nod and a smile, he put it in his shirt pocket, an unspoken promise to ensure it would be delivered safely and swiftly. Then, they separated, Laineth making a beeline for the head of the table while Glorfindel found his seat next to Issel, both of whom instantly dove into conversation.

Taking her seat a few chairs down from the head, Laineth greeted the counselors who sat either side of her, giving a smile to Elbion who sat opposite her. Her bowl was full of fruits that had been expertly chopped and diced to fit precisely within the bowl. Apples, various berries sourced from within the woods, there was even a few leaves thrown in for good measure. Of course, it was always delicious, the chefs employed in Thranduil's halls were there for a reason.

At the head sat the King and he was suspicious. He had been watching the door in anticipation to see Glorfindel walk in knowing full well that he was to leave soon. However, when he did walk in, he had Laineth with him! On his arm no less! He was suspicious of what Laineth had handed to him, it was paper and no doubt she had written something on it. Glorfindel seemed so sentimental about it, he almost looked disappointed to be leaving his darling princess behind. He eyed the two of them, darting between Laineth who was quietly eating her fruit, staring at the table, and Glorfindel, who had engaged in a somewhat entertaining conversation with Lady Issel.

Laineth, knowing full well that Thranduil's eyes were on her for the wrong reasons, subconsciously tugged on the bond they shared, urging him to cut it out without even raising her eyes. Another bite into a piece of apple and his glare had shifted from her to someone further down the table. Glorfindel. Again, she tugged, a little harder this time, he was beginning to act ridiculously.

Slouching back in his chair, he pushed his food away from him like a child who hadn't received what they wanted. He couldn't wait for Glorfindel to leave now, the less Noldorin interference in his life, the better. He could tell that Laineth was debating whether she wanted to leave or not, whether to go with Glorfindel or stay behind with the King. Maybe the whispers of Ortheron were true, perhaps she was just here to gain an advantage over the realm just so her mad brother or father could swipe it from his grasp.

Sensing her partner's disbelief and being unable to contain her anger, Laineth flew from her seat, sending it flying backwards and crashing against the wall. The room fell silent and everyone's gaze fell upon her, her irises inflamed once again. All she did was glare crushingly at Thranduil, who couldn't bare to return it, instead keeping his eyes on the doors on the opposite end of the room.

"Berthad cesastoren?" (You question my loyalty?) She kept her voice low, trying not to ruin the breakfast and Glorfindel's farewell meal, "Dyrd." (You are mistaken). With that, her hands on her skirt, she left, pushing the doors open herself and storming out towards the main gates.

Issel turned her head towards the upper end of the table, "You've really done it now, Thranduil." She excused herself to Glorfindel before getting up herself, albeit a lot quieter, following Laineth's footsteps to try and chase her down, hopefully she could calm her anger.

Unable to continue the meal after such a disruption, Thranduil too rose from his seat, not saying a word. Now that the King had risen, everyone else had to as well, no matter if they had finished their meal or not. Silently, he made his way out of the doors, going to the left, the opposite direction to which Laineth had gone. Everyone else was left standing awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

Scandal within the palace was a common thing, but public arguments between the King and whomever he is courting? Unheard of.