Breakthrough

Another week passed and Laineth now had a clear routine. She had been working her way through the town, right from the far gate up to the palace. She winded through the side streets, knocking on doors to try and find anyone still alive and willing to aid her in her quest. By this point, Mithlond had been in the tight grip of the illness for at least a month and a half. The Elves were becoming desperate, they needed relief from the choking hold. Most were willing to let Laineth take a sample of their blood once she told them that she was trying to find a cure. Many parents were worrying themselves ill over their children, all they wanted was a cure.

The vials of blood were hung securely on her belt, a slightly gruesome sight to look upon. The cobbles of the city were silent apart from the few distant coughs from inside the houses. The rain had finally stopped, but the sky was still as grey as ever. Laineth very much disliked the silence, so she began to lift her spirits by humming along her route. Her belt loops were all full, no more space for collecting samples today. Thus, she turned around and headed back to the palace.

The healing halls had become Laineth's home more recently. Not because the Lords had taken up on their threat and holed her up in there, but because it was the only facility around that could allow her to try and study the illness. Nevertheless, she'd set herself up in a more isolated corner of the wing just so she didn't risk upsetting the patients and healers nearby. Morale was already low, she didn't want to lower it any more.

Arriving back in the palace, she speedily dashed through the halls, twisting around corners. She swore she was this close to having a breakthrough. Mixing a few different herbs and plants together had made quite the concoction. But, she wasn't sure if it would work yet. Quite noticeably, the blood of those infected had darkened significantly to a very burgundy reddish colour, much darker than the colour of normal blood, especially that of Elves. Her hope was that if she could brew some sort of potion or make a strong enough bond of herbs and mixed it with the blood of those who were sick, the blood would return to its normal colour. It was a lot to rely on and definitely didn't mean that it would heal the sickness, but if it did happen, it would be a significant development.

Once in her corner, she took all of the vials from her belt and delicately placed them one at a time on the table. Then, she grabbed a small bowl. Taking one of the vials, she pulled the cork top from it and poured it into the bowl. Humming as she spun around, she picked up a glass jug that was full of watered down herbs and plants. Slowly, she began to pour the mixture into the small bowl, mixing it with a nearby wooden spoon.

Waiting was the worst part of the process. She had decided that the herbs would take a few minutes to fully mix with the blood. All she could do was pace back and forth, occasionally peering back at the bowl to see if it had changed colour. Perhaps two minutes into the waiting, a healer knocked on the archway. Laineth heard him coming, so continued her pacing until he cleared his throat.

"A letter, my Lady. It has the emblem of the Woodland Realm upon it. I think it's important." He declared.

Laineth spun around with furrowed eyebrows, snatching the paper from his hand. The healer scuttled away, having delivered the letter. Muttering under her breath about how she had no care for the Woodland Realm, she tore open the seal.

Dearest friend Laineth,

I write to you in a time of great need. I understand that you may not have the time nor effort to respond to this letter. We have all heard of the plight of the Noldor in Lindon, a most regrettable situation. You see, I promised myself that I would write to you when the time was right. I figured that writing to you too soon would only enrage you, considering the matter in which you left. Therefore, I write to you now, at the beginning of a new month. You've been gone for a while now and I truly thought that you'd return. I only heard news of your arrival in Mithlond from a trader passing through. It will be good for you there, I believe. You're Noldor at heart, no matter how much of your father you emulate on the outside. You will fit in well there.