Ch. 23

"So, what now?" Cassy asked.

I shrugged. "Now, we just wait and observe."

After lunch Laine and I made our way to math, which oddly enough Jackson was missing for. As we waited for the teacher to arrive, Laine began frantically looking for something. Soon enough she buried her face in her hands.

"Fuck." She cursed.

"Woah, hey. Miss goody two shoes cussing? That's new."

She quickly turned to glare at me. "Shut up. I forgot to do my math homework." She whined.

"Sucks to be you then."

"Wait." She looks back at me with hopeful eyes. "Did you do it?"

I raised a brow. "Does it look like I do anything in any class?"

"How haven't you gotten called out yet?" She rolls her eyes.

"I make them think I do it, duh."

Suddenly she turns her body to me and bites her lip.

"What the hell are you doing? Why are you looking at me like that?"

She clasped her hands together. "Please, hypnotize the teacher for me!"

I smirked. "Okay."

"Really?"

"No."

Her smile of excitement quickly turned into a frown. "Why, not!"

"Because, you should have done it yourself. Just because I'm here doesn't mean you get a free pass."

She whined again. "But you do it for yourself!"

"Yeah, but I've already learned all this."

"Ugh." She dropped her head onto the desk. "I give up. I'm gonna run away, anything to be done with school."

I rolled my eyes. "You're so dramatic. Let me see your damn notebook." I grabbed her notebook and went to the assignment. Making sure no one was looking I began filling it out, a bit faster than 'normal'. Once I was done I gave it to her.

In return, I got what I could only describe as the most idiotic smile ever. "Thank you!~"

I waved her off. "Yeah, yeah, just don't make me regret it."

History came by and the substitute told us to read a certain section of the book. Of course, no one was actually doing that, but she didn't care. She was just mindlessing going through her phone. As were most of the other students.

Much to my annoyance, Noah came over and sat at the seat in front of us. I knew he was going to turn around before he even did, and try to talk to Laine.

He turned around with a seemingly harmless smile on his face. "Hello again, Katherine." He then turned to Laine. "I'm Noah. You're Laine right? I know we haven't really met, so I understand that you turned me down."

"That's not the reason why she did." I glared at him.

He ignored me and focused on Laine, who now seemed nervous. "I know Katherine's probably told you to stay away from me, but I'm harmless I swear. I just want to get to know you a bit more. If I can?"

I was about to say something before Laine stepped in, eying him curiously. "Why? Why me?"

Now, Noah faced me with confusion, but shook it off. "I'm not too sure honestly. You just intrigue me."

Laine leaned in closer towards him, making me tense up. She doesn't actually like him does she? I studied her face for any sign of what she was doing, but she answered my thoughts. "Then prove it to me. You're with that group that's after me, what do they want? What are they planning?"

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Don't get me wrong, I'd love to tell you. Just not right now. It's just too soon. If they found out I spilled, things would surely get worse. I don't want to put you in danger." He looked between the both of us. "I'm serious, if I feel like I have to tell you something at a certain time I will. I won't let them hurt you trust me. Just think of me as your guys' hidden ally."

I scoffed. "I'll believe it when I see it."

He nodded. "I get it."

"I believe you." Noah and I both looked at Laine in shock.

"I-I Um.. thanks." Noah was baffled.

The bell rang and I immediately grabbed Laine and dragged her to a secluded area of the library.

"What the fuck was that? Are you stupid?" I questioned.

"What?" She defended. "I think he's telling the truth."

I rolled my eyes. "That's what he wants you to think."

"Look, it's not like I completely trust him alright? I'm not going to tell him where I live or what my social security number is!"

"May as well have."

She glared at me. "I'm not stupid alright? Why are you even so pissed off? Didn't it occur to you that this could be a good thing?" She began to raise her voice to which I did as well.

"I'm pissed off, because my job is to keep you safe! And how am I meant to do that when you're so easy to trust others?!"

A loud hush was heard on the other side of the room. Thankfully, her hunters weren't in hearing or seeing distance.

I sighed. "Do you like him?"

Laine's eyes widened in surprise. "What? No! Why would I? I just met the guy."

"Exactly, so why else would you trust him?"

She rolled her eyes. "He just sounded genuine!" Her voice then lowered. "Plus, wouldn't it be great if we had another person to help us out?"

I get it now. I slowly nodded and took a deep breath. "Yeah, it would. But wouldn't it suck if he ended up stabbing us all in the back?"

"Yeah..."

"Look, I know you're scared, but none of us are going to let them come anywhere near you, alright?"

She gave me a small smile. "I know. Don't worry I'll definitely be more careful from now on."

"Good. Now get your textbook open."

She looked at me confused. "What? Why?"

"Did you really think I was going to let you get away with not doing your math assignment?"

Laine looked at me in shock. "But you already turned it in for me!"

"I know."

"Then why do I need to do it again?"

"Because you didn't do it in the first place."

"And what? You expect me to turn it in again?"

"No. You'll give it to me. I just want to see you do it."

She looked at me dumbfounded. "But that assignment was so hard!"

"That's exactly why I want you to do it. How are you ever going to learn if you don't try? You're smart I'm sure you'll figure it out."

Laine shook her head with an amused smile. "You literally called me stupid a minute ago."

I also couldn't help but smile. "True. So, prove me wrong."