Ch. 25

The next school day felt quite strange. None of the members from the group trying to get to Laine was here today. Noah was nowhere in sight either, which is annoying since he could've played a major part in helping us capture everyone.

When lunch came around we all sat down at a table, well most of us.

"Where's Cassy?" I asked looking around.

Mason shrugged. "Maybe she found one of them? Or is looking? I mean it is kind of weird that they aren't here."

I shook my head. "She'd tell us about it first." I continued to scan the area.

"She had study hall right? Maybe she's just finishing an assignment before lunch." Laine suggested.

"I'm pretty sure homework is the last thing on her mind right now, but I'm going to go check."

When I arrived at the library, there was no one there aside from the librarian.

"Hey, have you seen Cassy? She just had this class, but she didn't go to the lunch room." I asked.

"Are you Katherine?" The librarian responded.

"Yes."

I watched as she reached under her desk and pulled out an envelope.

"I was told to give this to you. Have a nice day." She said with a small smile, yet her eyes were dull as she told me this. Almost as if...
"Oh, hello. Can I help you?" She said again. Yeah, she was compelled.

Right after leaving the library doors, I opened the letter up. My heart instantly dropped as I read the message written on it.

Hello, Katherine. It has been brought to our attention that you've now realized what we are after. So, let us cut to the chase shall we? You have what we want, which is Laine. We have what you want, which is Cassy. Shall we trade? We promise if you bring Laine to us we will happily hand over Cassy. No issues, simple trade right? However, if you try to pull anything she dies. Oh, and feel free to bring your little friend group along. After, all the more witness to this exchange the better! We will still out number you all. Ah, of course no one else. If I even get a whiff of the King or his army, Cassy will suffer the consequences. Hope to see you soon, and by that I mean an hour soon. I don't like waiting.
- Jackson

I stood frozen in place for what I felt like was forever. There was only one thing on my mind and that was getting Cassy back.

I pulled the nearest fire alarm sending everyone away from the building. I made my way over to the cafeteria and as soon as I saw Mason I grabbed him by his shirt and shoved him to the wall.

"Katherine, what the hell!" He exclaimed.

"Katherine, what are you-." Laine began, but I cut her off.

"They have Cassy." I shoved the letter into his chest. "You go and get Scarlett, Lance, and Cole. Meet me at Laine's house as soon as possible. No one hears about this aside from them, got it?"

Mason with wide eyes, nodded and ran off as soon as I pushed him aside.

I faced Laine, who seemed worried and scared. "You're coming with me." I said as I grabbed her wrist and dragged her away.

As soon as I entered Laine's house, everyone was there, waiting in anticipation.

"Well? What is everyone waiting around for? Let's go." I said walking back out the door.