Chapter 10

Capital of Albion

Lyndenium

The whole room of the Albion royal court is listening to the angry tirade of one of the high priests from the Church of Theos. The destruction of the Holy Artefact along with the inner part of the temple is in total ruin, this incident in Henryton spread like a wildfire, a brief panic ensues but the mayor of the town, the guards and the soldiers garrisoned there have maintained peace and order.

"I am confident that the perpetrators are working for Archmage Merilious of Adelesia. For years he's been telling such blasphemous claims that the Holy Artifact is not of divine origins, now it seems that he had enough and sends agents to desecrate both the artifact and the temple that houses it, profaning our Gods."

Randall Vance then speaks out. "I don't mean to disrespect but that man do gave a very convincing theory, when I visited Henryton I see that there is nothing divine about it, and it does look like it was made by mortal hands."

Hugo then added his opinion on the alleged "Holy Artifact". "I agree, when I touch it I felt nothing, I don't feel blessed nor I feel lucky."

"With all due respect, High Priest Armand, the accusation is very serious, and I will not act irrational and start a conflict without getting the facts straight, and even then I prefer to do things peacefully." The King declared as they have other problems; the biggest one is King Herald Hadrada and his allies, the last thing they need is another enemy to join the conflict. "Before any actions can be taken we must first learn what truly caused the destruction, if there is foul play then we'll investigate further to find the culprit."

"It's too soon to be placing blame on the man far from our country, and besides didn't some of your priests expressed concerns that it could be a sign from the gods?" Davis added, hearing the word of both good and bad, some say that it is a sign of bad omen, some thought that it's telling an upcoming event and some sort of warning, and others for some odd reason reasoned that it is a show of future fortune; all of these are confusing to the Hawke patriarch.

"My King and good Lords, I can assure you that this is not the work of the Gods, upon close inspection of the temple we discovered that the lock to back door is broken, that small piece is evident enough."

Edmire isn't convinced that this one fact is enough that Merilious is behind all this. "If that is the case then I'll send someone to investigate. Rest assured that my agent will find the answer to this mystery." After this, he then brought up one more issue. "Now, I heard word that you're planning to execute the five soldiers who are guarding the temple, is this true?"

"It is a simple duty they have but they failed, instead of staying at their posts they're busy drinking and chatting, slacking off during their work, thus letting the perpetrator lurks inside and destroy a holy relic, I believe hanging is the appropriate penalty."

"High Priest Armand, you're duty is to pray to the Gods and give blessing to the people, not deliver punishment," The King have raised his voice to assert his authority, this man is overstepping his boundary, a serious offense that could land him in prison. Such actions of sentencing and conviction on men of the army can only be done by the King, military officers, and other few nobles. "Now, I agree that those soldiers deserve punishment for their laziness but it does not warrant a death penalty."

The priest bowed his head in regret, though if one came to look closer on his face it shows an offended expression, no doubt he is vexed that those men will be given a lighter punishment. "My apologies, your Majesty, I have merely forgotten."

"Then be sure to remember it then, now, since we're done discussing about this Holy Artifact you are dismiss." After giving the order the priest left without a word or fuss.