Chapter 12

Henryton

A military encampment was set up right next to the town as the number of soldiers, voluntary conscripts, militia and a few mercenaries grew from hundreds to thousands. Many young men have joined the army with varying reasons such as glory, heroic fame, soldier's pay, or they simply want to protect their nation and their families.

It's like a second town, very lively and somewhat festive. The vast majority of the soldiers and newcomers aren't given duties just yet, told to await an official order from a commander, though while they're waiting and watching their numbers growing the men wandered about, chatting with one another, gambling, taking part in activities such as wrestling, sword training and archery, many went inside the town to visit inns and taverns for some drinks and harlots.

Since the destruction of the Holy Artefact days ago the officers became stricter, imposing discipline, giving harsh training, weapons training, guard duties, endurance tests, and many more that are meant for professional soldiers. Some men believed that this is a punishment, further enforced when rumours of the High Priest's attempt to hang the guards who had been lazy and failed to protect the town's sacred treasure. Despite all this not one man left the encampment, firm in their resolve to serve their nation, though most just wanted some action, adventure, and a rewarding soldier's pay.

It was night time, over an hour have passed after the sun sets, and half of the camp are turning in for night. One man who just had too many drinks went to the woods; unbeknownst to him someone is watching, just a few paces away stands a hooded individual, without anyone noticing the stranger's clothing is changing, warping the peasant's attire into a metallic appearance then change to match the man's clothing: brown boots and trousers, a blue gambeson, leather belt, and a breastplate.

Getting the right disguise, the stranger proceeds to enter the camp, one of the sentries just gave him a glance and turns to talk to his friend, the disguised man sneaks through, walking casually, sticking near the shadows, all the while listening to many chatters and banters. The stranger can hear every conversation in a seven-meter radius, useful and easy for eavesdropping. Though most of what it heard is very irrelevant.

"Fortune smiles at me, I win again." The man laughs as he collects all his winnings but his friend suddenly stops him.

"Hold on, you've won way too often."

"Yeah, how do we know you're not cheating?"

"I'm just feeling lucky today, and how can I cheat when we're using YOUR dices."

It went pass the four men who are now arguing over cheating and convenient luck, going behind rows of tent and walks into two soldiers.

"This is easy money, it's going to end like last time were those Nord didn't make it to our shores thanks to the fleet and sky riders, thus we didn't have to fight and still get paid."

"I don't know about that, word is spreading is that the Nord king gained many allies, their numbers could overwhelm our ships and they will surely land."

"You worry too much; have some faith in our army."

Another conversation from two soldiers as it passes behind them.

"It was amazing, and yet terrifying, high up in the skies where no flying beast can reach are creatures the shape of arrowheads."

"Arrowheads?"

"Yes, and they fly fast than any birds or wind dragons."

"You are right, that is a strange dream you have."

The stranger spots a tent that is set up as an armoury, plenty of spears, pikes and halberds on racks, crates containing swords, bow and arrows, or shields. It went by and grabs a sword with sheathe, tying it to its belt. Now it has the appearance of a patrolling foot soldier.